Stalled fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlDaviz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve made an all grain red ale with a Brewdog type hops elvis juice twist (same sort of hops and some orange and lemon peel)
It started og 1.060and after 3 days down to 1.012 so I added the dry hops and the peel which I left in vodka to sterilise overnight !!
Since adding the gravity hasn’t dropped !!
Has the vodka killed the yeast ??
I used mangrove jacks m44, been using the dry yeasts and no problems before when dry hopping ! Just this time adding the vodka ??

At 1.012 and about 80% attenuation you'll be fine. The couple of extra points won't make a world of difference.

3 days into fermentation is quite early to add your dry hop.

At 1.012 and about 80% attenuation you'll be fine. The couple of extra points won't make a world of difference.

3 days into fermentation is quite early to add your dry hop.

I’m using a tilt hydrometer, and it’s been quite accurate from the past brews. Been really helpful, most fermentation’s with the mangrove jacks dry yeasts have taken 8 days and the last 3 been very stable andnive bottled with no problems.
The fg should be 1.007 as per grainfather recipe builder so still a few points to go !!

Just really looking for everyone’s experience on this, will it make the beer slightly sweeter ??
The og should of been 1.057 ! But came out slightly higher, is it this that is making the higher fg ??

will it make the beer slightly sweeter ??
Yes, but from perceptability experiments I've read no - even 10 point differences and nobody can tell.

The og should of been 1.057 ! But came out slightly higher, is it this that is making the higher fg ??
It'll be part of it. If the mash temperature was higher than the target for any length of time that would have changed the fermentability of the wort. Your extraction efficiency may have been higher (high five!) as loads of recipes just guess at 65%

But you really have nothing to worry about. 80% attenuation is great. Those yeast are champs and so are you if everything goes the way it's been going.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m using a grainfather which seems to hold the temperature for the mash and the boil accurately.
Can’t wait to taste this one

f51.gif

Once again I am tempted to post the picture that explains what happens in fermentation to a second approximation.

The narrative is still in John Palmer's book here:

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/fermentation/re-defining-fermentation

So, the high temperatures recently (it is July) mean your Attentuative phase has gone quickly. Sadly, this usually comes with an extended conditioning phase as there will be side-put from the conversion of simple sugars to alcohol. During this phase, the yeast will convert this side-put from initial attentuative phase to your preferred out-put of ethanol. This will further reduce the SG marginally.

BTW, this book is well worth a skim-read at least for all HB'ers. Mainly about beer, though.

This ended up dropping to 1.010 so guess it must of finished fermenting quickly not helped by adding the peel !!
Tastes good I’ve bottled and now need to wait for it too carb.

After few weeks carbing, this came out really fruity, was a take of brewdogs Elvis Juice (although I had sweet orange peel and Lemon in my fridge 50g of each)
The Lemon has put a bitter taste that’s ok but wouldn’t use again !!
I know for future

Latest posts

Back