Stalled fermentation ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwidrinker

Reaction score
Hi folks Jason here I'm new to brewing and new to the forum although it's been a fantastic source of information during my first 2 brews before Christmas...my first was the Bad Cat from Bulldog turned out really nice at 7.1 halfway through i started the Evil Dog that turned out nice although very fruity and 7.3....next on the list was The Hammer of Thor that was bottled 6 days ago at 5.6...Now I have 2 brews on the go that don't seem to be getting anywhere near the advertised ABV ? First is the Muntons Belgian style started 20December OG of 1050 after 11 days was at 1012 then now 6 days later still at 1012....On the instructions it says bottle at 1006 or below constant ? At this point it's ABV is 5.0 this kit is advertised at 7.5....the other one is Youngs American IPA started 21December OG 1056 then 10 days later it's at 1014 now 6days later and still on 1014 guidance for FG is below 1007.....the temperature is constant 19-21 degrees everything looks and smells nice...any advice would be appreciated as I'm a tad concerned.....Cheers 🍻

I had the Young’s AIPA stall completely at the same point (1.014). I gently stirred - no effect. Then I stirred right down into the trub and it started up again but very slowly. I eventually reached 1.007 6 weeks after pitching! I have read many reports of slow fermentation with this kit.

Hi folks Jason here I'm new to brewing and new to the forum although it's been a fantastic source of information during my first 2 brews before Christmas...my first was the Bad Cat from Bulldog turned out really nice at 7.1 halfway through i started the Evil Dog that turned out nice although very fruity and 7.3....next on the list was The Hammer of Thor that was bottled 6 days ago at 5.6...Now I have 2 brews on the go that don't seem to be getting anywhere near the advertised ABV ? First is the Muntons Belgian style started 20December OG of 1050 after 11 days was at 1012 then now 6 days later still at 1012....On the instructions it says bottle at 1006 or below constant ? At this point it's ABV is 5.0 this kit is advertised at 7.5....the other one is Youngs American IPA started 21December OG 1056 then 10 days later it's at 1014 now 6days later and still on 1014 guidance for FG is below 1007.....the temperature is constant 19-21 degrees everything looks and smells nice...any advice would be appreciated as I'm a tad concerned.....Cheers 🍻
Temperature seems to be a tricky thing in these cold temps - my last two brews have been stubborn to complete. It is really difficult to establish the same temperature everywhere in a fv in cold ambient temps. I have two thermometers in my brew and there can be as much as a 3C difference between the top and bottom of a 25L fv

Where are the fvs? What temps are advised? Have you tried yeast nutrient? If you have the fvs on a heating mat the beer will be cooler at the top. As I say where are they?

I had the Young’s AIPA stall completely at the same point (1.014). I gently stirred - no effect. Then I stirred right down into the trub and it started up again but very slowly. I eventually reached 1.007 6 weeks after pitching! I have read many reports of slow fermentation with this kit.
Wow that's sure a long time...I just gave it a good stir up and it's started up albeit slowly... Cheers

Temperature seems to be a tricky thing in these cold temps - my last two brews have been stubborn to complete. It is really difficult to establish the same temperature everywhere in a fv in cold ambient temps. I have two thermometers in my brew and there can be as much as a 3C difference between the top and bottom of a 25L fv

Where are the fvs? What temps are advised? Have you tried yeast nutrient? If you have the fvs on a heating mat the beer will be cooler at the top. As I say where are they?
I have added nothing yet but have given them both a good stir and the Young's has started up again albeit slowly...I have made a wooden stand in the boiler cupboard seems consistent 19-21 degs 19 at 4am and 21 at 6pm (as an example).... Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_142208.jpg
    IMG_20201230_142208.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 59
I have added nothing yet but have given them both a good stir and the Young's has started up again albeit slowly...I have made a wooden stand in the boiler cupboard seems consistent 19-21 degs 19 at 4am and 21 at 6pm (as an example).... Cheers
Cheers - what yeast - what temps are advised for that yeast?

Hmm - I tend to brew ales and usually use SO 4 ale yeast - so have no experience what so ever with the yeast you are using

However, SO 4 says ferment between 15 - 20C. This usually creates a fast fermentation up to about 60% attenuation, it then stops if I up the temp to 23ish this usually seems to give a "boost" to finish

You wouldn't lose anything by upping the temp - I guess

Hmm - I tend to brew ales and usually use SO 4 ale yeast - so have no experience what so ever with the yeast you are using

However, SO 4 says ferment between 15 - 20C. This usually creates a fast fermentation up to about 60% attenuation, it then stops if I up the temp to 23ish this usually seems to give a "boost" to finish

You wouldn't lose anything by upping the temp - I guess
Sounds sensible thanks for the advice very much appreciate it

First is the Muntons Belgian style started 20December OG of 1050 after 11 days was at 1012 then now 6 days later still at 1012....On the instructions it says bottle at 1006 or below constant ? At this point it's ABV is 5.0 this kit is advertised at 7.5.
Not sure how a beer with an OG of 1.050 and an FG of 1.006 is supposed to be 7.5%. Do you mean 5.5%? If you do, I would just bottle now. It wouldn't bother me to lose half a percent and I certainly wouldn't spend weeks chasing it.

Not sure how a beer with an OG of 1.050 and an FG of 1.006 is supposed to be 7.5%. Do you mean 5.5%? If you do, I would just bottle now. It wouldn't bother me to lose half a percent and I certainly wouldn't spend weeks chasing it.
I think Pavalijo went 6 weeks on the Youngs OG 1.056 and FG target of 1.007 so 6.5% as per advertised....I totally understand me not achieving the top of the estimate with the conditions in working with and why the hell i didn't do the quick calculation seeing i had my OG to work from....well....lack of experience right there ...So with the Muntons I've worked out even reaching the 1.006 FG it will be 5.8% still way below the stated 7.5% ....it's stuck at 1.012 so 5.0%.... disappointing....Thanks for your help i very much appreciate it

Last edited:
In 200+ brews I've never had one go down to 1.006.

1.010 seems to be the most regular FG, then 1.012 and very occasionally 1.008. I really wouldn't worry about it as kit instructions tend to be very optimistic.

In 200+ brews I've never had one go down to 1.006.

1.010 seems to be the most regular FG, then 1.012 and very occasionally 1.008. I really wouldn't worry about it as kit instructions tend to be very optimistic.
I guess I'm being over optimistic these are only my 4th and 5th brews my first 2 finished at 1.008 and 3rd one at 1.012 ....I do enjoy strong tasting beers so when a brew finishes up over a third lower than stated....well time to try some others...thanks for your help i very much appreciate it...Cheers

I don't have a solution to your problems beyond the replies you have received so far, but if you are interested I posted about my recent experiences with a stuck/stalled fermentation on a different thread on 20th December (see link below) . . . . . All I will add is "be patient". Yeasts are strange beasts, and will do their own thing in their own time.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/quick-or-stuck-fermentation.87017/#post-986096

I don't have a solution to your problems beyond the replies you have received so far, but if you are interested I posted about my recent experiences with a stuck/stalled fermentation on a different thread on 20th December (see link below) . . . . . All I will add is "be patient". Yeasts are strange beasts, and will do their own thing in their own time.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/quick-or-stuck-fermentation.87017/#post-986096
Thanks interesting read...I'm definitely going to leave it and see how it goes...I sure don't want bottle bombs thanks for your help I really appreciate it cheers

I'm on my first brew. I bought a Youngs Pilsner Lager kit. The guide said to leave it for 7-10 days and bottle at 1.006-1.000. It's been 14 days and it is currently sitting at 1.010. I'd assume it'd take a little longer because I used generic granulated sugar and it's been stored at about 15-18C (instead of recommened 18-25C for the English Ale Yeast that came with it.) Will this continue to drop or should I expect no more reduction in gravity?

(also if anyone has any experience with this kit, I couldn't get a reading for my OG. I opened my unopened pack for my Wilko Hydrometer and found it to be broken in half out of the packet, after I had put my beer in my FV, went out today to get a new one. I'm guessing about 1.044?)

I'm on my first brew. I bought a Youngs Pilsner Lager kit. The guide said to leave it for 7-10 days and bottle at 1.006-1.000. It's been 14 days and it is currently sitting at 1.010. I'd assume it'd take a little longer because I used generic granulated sugar and it's been stored at about 15-18C (instead of recommened 18-25C for the English Ale Yeast that came with it.) Will this continue to drop or should I expect no more reduction in gravity?

(also if anyone has any experience with this kit, I couldn't get a reading for my OG. I opened my unopened pack for my Wilko Hydrometer and found it to be broken in half out of the packet, after I had put my beer in my FV, went out today to get a new one. I'm guessing about 1.044?)
I would say read through my post but I would hate to comment without your original gravity reading......if in doubt leave it and check every 2 days for drop

From what I understand if you increase temp slightly towards the end of fermentation it won’t produce a load of esters and unwanted flavours as most of the sugar is already converted. Give it a swirl to rouse the yeast and check sg again.

Also are you using dry yeast? Do you rehydrate? I’m still learning myself but I understand after temperature control for fermentation, a healthy and appropriate sized yeast pitch makes for good fermentation and a good 🍺.

Latest posts

Back