Star San - acidify water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some advice please.
I am not a water treatment person when brewing kits, my knowledge is a bit lacking here.

In the absence of Tesco ashbeck water and not wanting to waste my starsan by making milky solution, can I add acid (citric ?) to other bottled water to acidulate it enough for the starsan or it it more a question of carbonates present in the spring water.
Advice welcome.
Cheers

There has been many debates on Starsan going milky. IMO it is ok s long as the Ph value is low enough and the milkiness does not affect this, just can not remember the PH value off the top of my head but somebody will pipe up on it. I have used my starsan for quite a while once milky and do not bthrow it away when I make a new batch I put it in my stored FV's to keep them sanitised.
I shake the starsan around every week to wet the insides of the FV's
Ps its come to me needs to be less than 3.5 PH

I've used citric acid before but it still does go milky even though the pH is in the right range. The surfactant in it binds with minerals or something, but it's still fine to use from all the stuff I've read.

The Star San tech sheet says keep it below 3, a rep from the company said 3.5.

I collect rain water, boil it and use that and it's clear as a bell. The pH of my tap water is 7.6 and the rain water about 6.5. The tap water goes milky and the pH is about 2.6, well under the tech sheet level.

There has been many debates on Starsan going milky. IMO it is ok s long as the Ph value is low enough and the milkiness does not affect this, just can not remember the PH value off the top of my head but somebody will pipe up on it. I have used my starsan for quite a while once milky and do not bthrow it away when I make a new batch I put it in my stored FV's to keep them sanitised.
I shake the starsan around every week to wet the insides of the FV's
Ps its come to me needs to be less than 3.5 PH
Cheers for that. Had the pH thing going round my head but thought milky starsan was a problem.
Usually get a 5l ashbeck and add my starsan to it.
I've used citric acid before but it still does go milky even though the pH is in the right range. The surfactant in it binds with minerals or something, but it's still fine to use from all the stuff I've read.

The Star San tech sheet says keep it below 3, a rep from the company said 3.5.

I collect rain water, boil it and use that and it's clear as a bell. The pH of my tap water is 7.6 and the rain water about 6.5. The tap water goes milky and the pH is about 2.6, well under the tech sheet level.
Guess the consensus is - just get on with it so long as pH is right.

Yes its ok to use its all about the PH, I use mine for at least a month and some times longer then as long as its PH is ok store the old in my FV's to keep them sanitised and ready for use

Latest posts

Back