Starsan dilution rate.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamekeepa

Reaction score
I've bought some Starsan early in the week and have used it once so far. I know the dilution rate is 1.5ml/litre but the measuring capsule on the bottle only has 1/2oz and 1/4oz marks. Anyone know how these relate when making a 5 litre amount for example?

1.5ml per litre for 5 litres is 7.5ml.

This works out to be about 0.26oz according to Mr Google, so just above the 0.25oz mark

Hi!
My bottle has Imperial on one side of the cap and Metric on the other.
StarSan can be re-used; I keep it in a 2 litre pop bottle and use it again and again. Watch out for cloudiness - it's no longer effective. If you want to be super cautious, buy a cheap pH meter.
Colin

Mine only has imperial on both sides. Just not sure what the conversion is.

I just used 1 1/2 teaspoons to a large 5 litre of distilled water. It was easier than trying to see the marking on the cap.

Does it have to be distilled water? I thought it just couldn't be alkaline water. I tested my tap water and it was PH neutral.

Water with a ph below 3 I believe. As it happens I use battery top up water from Halfords. I also use a syringe to suck 7.5ml out of the bottle, I have never bothered with the gradients on the bottle itself.

Ph neutral is 7 then I think. When the star San is mixed it has to have a ph of 3.5 or lower. If you mix it with tap water it will probably go cloudy showing that it's a higher ph.

I didn't notice that it was cloudy. Does this mean that I have put beer into an un-sterilised FV now and used un-sterilised equipment?

It doesn't matter if its cloudy the only important thing is it's at the right PH I've never used it when it was clear as my tap water is hard. To measure 1.5ml I have some little measuring spoons in ml that I got from asda

You will be OK. With a ph of 8, the star San will bring it down below 3. So ph neutral will be below that.
It's just the manufacturer says it stays more effective in distilled water, so can be kept longer.

I just made up a 5ltr batch of Starsan now using my tap water. Here is a picture of the litmus paper I used to test it

59a30d1a3221f16479a74b4a1c2de0e1.jpg

I would say that's a ph level of about 3 or 3.5

+1

also you don't need to use a whole strip with a dry scissors I get 3 tests for strip :-)

I know I HB cuz it's cheaper than going to the pub/buying from the supermarket but that's probably THE tightest thing I've ever heard! They're like a quid (inc. P&P) for a pack of about 100 off fleabay :lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back