Starsan Sterilizer question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakejoe30

Reaction score
I have 250ml of starsan Sterilizer which is about 3 years old. Can I dilute it and if pH is below 3 still use it? If pH is above 3 if I add some PH down to bring it below 3 will it be good to use?

I started brewing 3 years ago using good cleaning practices and starsan to finish never had an infection
Still using same bottle i use 1ml to 1 litre
Starsan is king
Don't fear the foam

What will it be.?

Members often call sanitiser steriliser by mistake Milton (my go to sanitiser) don't help.

mmuummmmmm.jpg

I've just diluted my 3 year old starsan Sterilizer to recommended level and the pH is 3. Does this mean it's still good to use? Thanks

Can't be 100% sure but I don't think that Starsan has a defined shelf life (true for diluted Starsan only if de-ionised water is used). I remember listening to a recorded talk by the inventor where the long lifetime of Starsan was mentioned. (worth a listen, Charlie Tally forward to about 52 minutes in, here: The Session 03-19-06 Sanitation w/ Charlie Talley | The Brewing Network, and a better interview here 03-29-07 Basic Brewing Radio - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San from Basic Brewing Radio | Podcast Episode on Podbay)
I tend to make Starsan a little stronger, 10ml to 5 litres, as easier to remember. Also I've recently fitted a water softener to stop showers etc scaling up and this water keeps the Starsan clear. I keep in a 5 litre plastic container and use it for a couple of brews and bottling sessions then I make new. I do check pH but have never seen it go above 3, usually closer to 2. (N.B. above pH 3.5 Starsan turns into micro organism food!)

Last edited:
Milton is awesome as is starsan/chemsan, but I have contact dermatitis and my hands don’t like either one of them. I have to be extremely careful. If you are anything like me, have sensitive skin and handle the stuff regularly, please get some nitrile gloves! Once you have this kind of allergy, you're stuck with it for life. I am sensitive to other things as well but not relevant to this forum really.

2BA51609-1022-458F-A0F4-71C9F5FA4486.jpeg

687D858B-D0C3-4404-AEE1-8E5CCB5606D2.jpeg

Edit: my hands aren't usually this swollen!

Last edited:
Milton is awesome as is starsan/chemsan, but I have contact dermatitis and my hands don’t like either. I have to be extremely careful. If you are anything like me, have sensitive skin and handle the stuff regularly, please get some nitrile gloves!

View attachment 41916
View attachment 41917
That's resembling chemical burn and nasty looking.You wouldn't like my job for sure...

Ooh right! I'll need my good teeth in to say that word! :laugh8: I hope they provide protection for you.
Oh yes I's dotted and T's crossed but you know yourself you've got to be careful and I'm a trainer so more pressure as you work with high pressure gases some inert and others not so but an interesting job.
I could literally make beer on one of my toolsets with heat control for mash and boil and O2, CO2 and N2 on tap basically never mind 10" 5 micron and 0.1 micron filters and pressure ferment up to 40psi but it's out of my range at over 1m$....dream on..

Oh yes I's dotted and T's crossed but you know yourself you've got to be careful and I'm a trainer so more pressure as you work with high pressure gases some inert and others not so but an interesting job.
I could literally make beer on one of my toolsets with heat control for mash and boil and O2, CO2 and N2 on tap basically never mind 10" 5 micron and 0.1 micron filters and pressure ferment up to 40psi but it's out of my range at over 1m$....dream on..

All sounds a bit technical. Not a clue ha ha!

Latest posts

Back