Started a Coopers kit

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Wookie Monster

Reaction score
It's in a warm corner of the kitchen! That's all I've done for previous brews and its worked out alright. Means I can keep an eye on it for any eruptions or other bad things happening.

terrym

Reaction score
Should be OK. It's a kit and a good quality kilo.
I made up this kit some time back and suggest a hop tea might raise it if you have access to some hops, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings, First Gold or EKG perhaps. Not sure if citrus hops would suit though.
However I did find it very 'fruity' so it might be a Marmite beer.
Hope it works out for you athumb..

Pirate_Pete

Landlord.
Reaction score
Should be OK. It's a kit and a good quality kilo.
I made up this kit some time back and suggest a hop tea might raise it if you have access to some hops, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings, First Gold or EKG perhaps. Not sure if citrus hops would suit though.
However I did find it very 'fruity' so it might be a Marmite beer.
Hope it works out for you athumb..
Yes I think all those hops would go well.
I too made this beer. A while ago now. In fact one of my first brews, when I didn't really know what I was doing.
I used Pride of Ringwood hops for what reason, I have no idea.
It wasn't until much later I found out that PoR is basically a hop used for bittering.
Now bear in mind that this is already one of, if not the most, of Coopers beers.
To say the end result was bitter is a major understatement.
Funny thing is I took some to work for one of the homebrewers. He took four home, but unknown to me he brought two back.
Fast forward a couple of years and we moved premises. Boss asks who the beer in the fridge belongs to.
I take it home and open one. It was bloody lovely.
I should probably try this one again, although I'm having a bit of a break from Coopers at the moment.

Last edited:

terrym

Reaction score
Yes I think all those hops would go well.
I too made this beer. A while ago now. In fact one of my first brews, when I didn't really know what I was doing.
I used Pride of Ringwood hops for what reason, I have no idea.
It wasn't until much later I found out that PoR is basically a hop used for bittering.
Now bear in mind that this is already one of, if not the most, of Coopers beers.
To say the end result was bitter is a major understatement.
Funny thing is I took some to work for one of the homebrewers. He took four home, but unknown to me he brought two back.
Fast forward a couple of years and we moved premises. Boss asks who the beer in the fridge belongs to.
I take it home and open one. It was bloody lovely.
I should probably try this one again, although I'm having a bit of a break from Coopers at the moment.
My guess is they also use Pride of Ringwood hops in this kit, which for me have quite a distinctive taste, and which in the end I decided I am not too keen on.
And my experience as well in the one or two Real Ales I did was that it needs a lot of conditioning to mellow out.

Pirate_Pete

Landlord.
Reaction score
My guess is they also use Pride of Ringwood hops in this kit, which for me have quite a distinctive taste, and which in the end I decided I am not too keen on.
And my experience as well in the one or two Real Ales I did was that it needs a lot of conditioning to mellow out.
I think PoR is the hop Coopers use to bitter most of their beers.

I bought a 50 gram packet. I can post you the other 25 grams if you want Terry. It's still in the freezer.:laugh8:

terrym

Reaction score
I think PoR is the hop Coopers use to bitter most of their beers.

I bought a 50 gram packet. I can post you the other 25 grams if you want Terry. It's still in the freezer.:laugh8:
I actually did a similar thing to you. I had come by some cheap Admiral hops and for some unknown reason decided to use them as a dry hop in one of these kits. I should have done my homework (which I now do for hop additions) since I found they too have a very distinctive flavour and are also a bittering hop. Anyway in went 50g Admiral and the end result took about 4 months before it became properly drinkable (though none went down the sink wink...)

Wookie Monster

Reaction score
Well it's in the barrel :D Transferred the beer from my old boots keg into the new one this afternoon. First sample shows promise! Flat as anything but tastes like beeracheers.

Wookie Monster

Reaction score
Drew off half a pint to test it tonight. Now on the second half :beer1:nice malty flavour, not too bitter, decent colour too. Will make it again!
20200303_195233.jpg

Group Builder