Starter not ready - pause before pitching?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppix

Regular.
Reaction score
It's brew day today, and the starter I've been building from harvested WLP518 hasn't taken off as expected after 18 hours on the stir plate and 6 stationary, all at 23℃. Normally I'd see a good Krausen by now, but this time there's almost nothing. Now I have several packets of dry yeast that I don't mind pitching as-is, but I'm wondering if I can wait a little longer with the wort in my sealed FV. I've done a no-chill lager recipe before where there was a gap of around 5 hours between transferring to FV and pitching yeast, and this time I'm brewing a simple golden ale just to get rid of some leftovers. Any ideas how long I can leave her waiting while the starter sorts itself out?

Its a Kveik, as I see it, chuck it in and if it does not take off, shove in a "back up" tomorrow morning.

Done. I know Kveik likes to be under-pitched, but the quantity I used for this starter was ridiculous - maybe a tenth of a teaspoon? Anyway, she seems to have taken off, putting out two inches of head and turning the once chestnut starter wort into a light butterscotch colour. Pitched a few minutes ago at 23℃, spunding valve set for 5 PSI.

Latest posts

Back