Startin simple and want some advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learn204

Reaction score
I like to do many things from scratch. I grow my own vegetables. I can food. I make my own jerkey. I sew. I try to fix things I have. If I had unlimited funds/space, I'd have kilns, I'd melt metal, create plastics, etc. I'd love to build my own home. But I have limited skills in many areas.

I do have a background in biology/science and hae always had a special relationship with microscopic biota. I compost, make my own kimchi, bread, and pickles. I helped my father make wine when I was a kid. I make sparking cider overnight with a pinch of bread yeast. I make simple cheeses such as mozzarella and ricotta. I want to build on my fermenting interests, My style is to start at the beginning. And like a two-year old, I always want to know why. I may get bored on my path and move in another direction. Right now, I want to learn to ferment wine, mead, bear, liquor, etc. And sugarwater/yeast seems to be the bottom.

My home conditions run from 65-72F sometimes 75F (18-23C, sometimes 24C).

I can put sugar, water, and bread yeast in a jar with a rubber glove on top with pinhole. But I have questions:
  1. Why do so many people use grain instead of just plain sugar? It takes longer. Does it just taste better, or does it have a higher alcohol content?
  2. I know mead can be made substituting honey for sugar. Should I use honey or molasses instead of sugar?
  3. Is it helpful/better to add flour or cornmeal? (I do not want to sprout grain.)
  4. Does the kind of yeast make much of a difference? If so, what kind/brand would you recommend?
  5. For this, what would the best ratio be for sugar/water/yeast?]
  6. Other than washing well and using distilled water, should I try to sterilize equipment?
  7. Should something else be added for micro-nutrients, such as some cornmeal or molasses?
  8. I can see when bubble formation reduces, but about how long might that be?
  9. Other thoughts/recommendations for my first try?
Yes, I can ask way too many questions. Thanks for your understanding/patience. As a newbie, I offeer littlee and ask so much.

Eventually, I'll work my way up to more complicated home fermenting, but want to start in the simplest way possible.

The answers to your questions will be influenced by what you are trying to make.
wine, mead, bear, liquor, etc
are all different and need different ingredients and techniques .
  1. Why do so many people use grain instead of just plain sugar? It takes longer. Does it just taste better, or does it have a higher alcohol content? Malted grains add flavours and body to beer that you wouldn't get with plain sugar
  2. I know mead can be made substituting honey for sugar. Should I use honey or molasses instead of sugar?
  3. Is it helpful/better to add flour or cornmeal? (I do not want to sprout grain.)Add them to what? What are you trying to make? Whatever it is, the answer is probably "no". Malted grains are mashed to turn starches in to sugars. You won't get that with flour or cornmeal.
  4. Does the kind of yeast make much of a difference? Yes If so, what kind/brand would you recommend? It depends what you are trying to make. Different yeasts add different flavours and tolerate different levels of alcohol, for example a beer yeast wouldn't be suitable for wine.
  5. For this, what would the best ratio be for sugar/water/yeast?] For what? What are you trying to make and how much in one batch?
  6. Other than washing well and using distilled water, should I try to sterilize equipment? Yes, stray yeasts in the air or on your equipment could add bad flavours to whatever it is you are making
  7. Should something else be added for micro-nutrients, such as some cornmeal or molasses? Not usually, although yeast nutrients are sometimes needed for some wines.
  8. I can see when bubble formation reduces, but about how long might that be? It depends....
  9. Other thoughts/recommendations for my first try? Decide what is you want to make and then read up on it. There is lots of information on this and many other forums.

Thanks, Richard, very helpful. A water-ethanol solution is a great way to make sure some herbs and spices let all of their flavor out in cooking. It works on both water and oil-based compounds. I want to make extracts from my herbs and perhaps even bitters.

I understand I can get close to 20% ETOH....which yeast and what ratio/time would you recommend?

Thanks, Richard, very helpful. A water-ethanol solution is a great way to make sure some herbs and spices let all of their flavor out in cooking. It works on both water and oil-based compounds. I want to make extracts from my herbs and perhaps even bitters.

I understand I can get close to 20% ETOH....which yeast and what ratio/time would you recommend?
You need some kind of wine yeast that will tolerate that percentage of alcohol or just steep the herbs in a neutral vodka

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Richard and Chippy. I had understood the D word was verbotten. I just ordereed Alcoteck 48 tu8rb0 with carbon

Latest posts

Back