Starting to brew Red Wine again a few questions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakejoe30

Reaction score
After 4 years I'm going to start brewing from wine kits again. A few questions first though.

I have some undiluted Star San which is 4 years old. Will this still be good?

Which 30 day kit Shiraz or Malbec would you recommend? And from which vendor?

I have a new shed with no electricity. Will the wine be okay if I brewed and fermented in it or will it be too cold?

Thanks in advance

I've found the California Connoisseur range to be good. They are now rebranded as the "On The House" range.
I think that shed is going to be too cold.

I have some undiluted Star San which is 4 years old. Will this still be good?

I don't use it so cannot give an answer but my thoughts are is it worth the risk, you say you are starting out after 4 years why not bin it to be on the safe side i use Milton tablets and have done for many years, no rinse, 15 minute contact time and it lasts 24 hours.

Can the wine be placed in the shed once bottled?

I will get some new Star San. I used it because it was easy no soaking. Can the Milton tablet solution be used as a spray? Thanks

I would think by the time your wine is bottled the worst of the winter will be behind us.
However come the summer you don't want wine kept at greenhouse temperatures either.
(Unless you are making a Madeira clone.)

I would not advise spraying Milton or sulphite indoors at least.You might find yourself having a once in a lifetime choking experience.

Star San seems to be universally popular on the winemaking inter-webs but i have to admit to never having used it.

Last edited:
Can the wine be placed in the shed once bottled?
Yes. I mostly have done Beaverdale kits and find they give excellent results (brewed to 20L instead of 23). The instructions say to brew between 20 and 25c with better results at 20. That's quite warm really.
They usually take 3 weeks fermenting, then a few days in the cold to settle, few more days for finings to do their stuff. Bottle and drink.

In the last 6 months I've tried the (30 bottle) VineCo and On The House versions of Shiraz, both were good but I found the VineCo slightly better for our taste. I also added a 6 bottle Beaverdale Cabernet Sauvignon to another batch of each and found it improved to finished result, again to our taste.

Just racked a 30 bottle WinExpert Chilean Malbec, not sure what that's going to end up like yet. I see that a lot of people suggest fermenting to a lower volume to get improved results. I'm going to try that on my next batch.

Chris

Yes. I mostly have done Beaverdale kits and find they give excellent results (brewed to 20L instead of 23). The instructions say to brew between 20 and 25c with better results at 20. That's quite warm really.
They usually take 3 weeks fermenting, then a few days in the cold to settle, few more days for finings to do their stuff. Bottle and drink.
I’m thinking to do the same with a wineworks kit. Suppose it makes sense! You get 5.5ltre juice to 23ltr means 17.5lt of water added normally. However all high end kits give you more juice so less water to juice ratio. So I reckon 14ltr is plenty of water to be added.
The reds are hard to get good eh. Got some beverdale merlot just racked there, some wine expert chateau red also both seem really really good.

the wife got me the private reserve wine expert nebbolio for my bday. Nearly freaked when added the grape skins and topped me up to 25lt.

Will the the taste be affected if wine is racked in screw top bottles or 2ltr plastic bottles? Also do you add anything else to your reds to improve taste? I heard someone added pepper corns to a Shiraz. Thanks

The Beaverdale kits turn out about the same standard as a £5 bottle from the supermarket. I've only been doing them for a year or so and have to say I'm very impressed. Saving a fortune as well.

The Beaverdale kits turn out about the same standard as a £5 bottle from the supermarket. I've only been doing them for a year or so and have to say I'm very impressed. Saving a fortune as well.
I drink Comuna Malbec or Beefsteak Shiraz 7.50 and 8.00 pounds a bottle. I'm hoping to get the same results with a £43 kit.

Will the the taste be affected if wine is racked in screw top bottles or 2ltr plastic bottles? Also do you add anything else to your reds to improve taste? I heard someone added pepper corns to a Shiraz. Thanks
I suppose it’s fine. I use screw tops and never had a issue. Not sure about peppercorn?! Worth a shot. Food grade plastic seems to be grand also.

What's the best way to clean the inside of the Syphon? Just got the kit out of the loft and Syphon is quite grubby.

Latest posts

Back