steaming hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone ever tried steaming their aroma hops? Would it work? It'll reduce the amount of hops in the boiler thus reducing wort loss.

no idea but how would you get the goodness from the hops ? wouldn't it all escape in the steam ? And as i thought we was meant to do it with not lid on pot to allow steam to escape otherwise some chemical thingy (i dont know correct terms/words for some elements/chemicals etc) gets trapped and thats a bad thing im told so how would you trap/collect extract from hops ??

Don't see how your going to be able to do this?

You could try a Hopback/hopnick/hopRocket, Hoprocket works very well, but not for 5gal you would loose too much.

If its minimal loss your after, try some of Robs (Malt Miller) aroma oil additives.

UP

Do you guys really loose that much wort due to hop additions? My double IPA uses almost a pound of hops before the dry hop, and I still go from 7 gallons to 5.5 gallons after a 75 minute boil. The loss I see is mostly all evaporation during the boil.

As far as steaming the hops, I think it might be hard to get the alpha acids from them, and the beta acids derived would dissipate with the steam. If you are worried about volume loss I'd try a hop back or a hop addition at flame out prior to recirculating.

Latest posts

Back