Steeping oats for an extract NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottsworth

Regular.
Reaction score
I was planning to have a go at an extract NEIPA later today.

I only want to use oats for haziness / mouthfeel, not OG, but have seen all sorts of conflicting stuff about if steeping them will give the required result, or if I need to do a mini mash. I've tried reading the relevant bit of Palmer, but hat only seems to cover using oats as part of the main grain bill and gettinsugars out.

I've bought quick oats, not sure if that makes a difference if you don't want to get the sugars out?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm looking at doing something like this. A guy on YouTube has done something similar with a Cooper's Tin. Try searching Cooper's NEIPA, should come up. Or, I can link you if you can't seem to find

You are correct. I haven't checked what he changed it to but heard in his last video that he was changing to consolidate the channels

https://beerandbrewing.com/time-is-beer-going-extract/

From the above:

"It’s true that flaked oats, flaked barley, flaked wheat, etc., must be mashed to generate sugars, but in most recipes they’re used to promote body and head retention rather than used as a source of gravity points. Steeping them, then, extracts the very proteins that we want from them, even without starch conversion. I’ve steeped these my entire brewing career, with no ill effects, and any clarity loss was minimal (and/or addressed by fining agents such as Irish Moss or gelatin)."

Latest posts

Back