Step Mashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I have just started doing step mashes to see what effect it has as i have been using a lot more Vienna and Munich malt in the grist. Now I know that it should not be really essential to do with modern malts but I have found that the first 2 brews I have done the BH Eff has gone up quite a bit from a average 75% to nothing less than 78% to 82%. I have 1 further brews which have not completed fermenting showing 85% which has lager malt munich and vienna in it at equal amounts so am I right in saying at the lower step of 62c and the higher step of 68c it is pulling more sugars combined from both steps hence the higher Eff

Yes. The lower temp favours the enzymes that produce short chain sugars which are easily fermentable and produce ABV. The higher temp favours long chain sugars that add body and sweetness but are not fermentable. Most people choose a temp between the two where both processes take place but sub-optimally - because it’s easy and not too big a compromise.

Hi I have just started doing step mashes to see what effect it has as i have been using a lot more Vienna and Munich malt in the grist. Now I know that it should not be really essential to do with modern malts but I have found that the first 2 brews I have done the BH Eff has gone up quite a bit from a average 75% to nothing less than 78% to 82%. I have 1 further brews which have not completed fermenting showing 85% which has lager malt munich and vienna in it at equal amounts so am I right in saying at the lower step of 62c and the higher step of 68c it is pulling more sugars combined from both steps hence the higher Eff
A lot of brewers use both temperatures to get both attenuation and body, I recently put up an Irish Extra Stout recipe where the mash is 60 minutes at 64 C followed by 30 minutes at 68 C.
I think it is important to get the dough in temperature right to protect the Beta Amylase, just from a few things I have read on other forums

From BYO

Mashing Enzymes from A to B
In a brewer’s mash we are concerned with the activity of two main enzymes, alpha and beta amylase.

Alpha amylase is the enzyme responsible for breaking large, complex, insoluble starch molecules into smaller,soluble molecules. It is stable in hot, watery mashes and will convert starch to soluble sugars in a temperature range from 145 to 158 °F (63 to 70 °C). It requires calcium as a co-factor.

Beta amylase is the other mash enzyme capable of degrading starch. Through its action, it is the enzyme largely responsible for creating large amounts of fermentable sugar. It breaks starch down systematically to produce maltose. Beta amylase is active between 131 and 149 °F (55 and 65 °C). But like all enzymes, its activity reaches a peak, declines, and then drops precipitously as temperature increases. The rate is also dependent on the amount of enzyme present. It takes time for all of the enzyme to be destroyed, but what is still intact works very quickly. So as the mash temperature approaches 149 °F (65 °C), beta amylase is operating at its fastest rate but it is also being denatured.

This may seem trivial, but at these higher temperatures the denaturation is so rapid that the enzyme is mostly gone in less than 5 minutes. Also, in a homebrewer’s mash tun, where the grain may be poured into very hot water, the exposure to very high heat for the few seconds before the mixture becomes homogenous may work to destroy the fragile enzymes.

This means that, in a practical sense, the manipulation of beta amylase activity can be utilized to control the fermentability of the wort. If the mash is allowed to “stand” at a temperature that favors the action of beta amylase, then agreater proportion of the sugars extracted from the malt will be maltose and hence the wort will prove more fermentable.

In my commercial breweries, I found that changing the mash temperature from 149 to 156 °F (65 to 69 °C) raised the beer’s terminal gravity from 1.008 to 1.014. This is a significant difference.

@the baron so are you getting a higher original gravity from the same malts with the step mash? Higher fermentability doesn't mean higher efficiency. You can't base it on the ABV of the beer.

So, while I get the bit about the 2 different temperature ranges and the effect on the type of sugar produced, I don’t understand the mechanics of the process.
You start with the grain and introduce water at, say 63C, dough in and keep it at 63C for 60 minutes. This should convert the starch in the grain to fermentable sugar, right?
You then raise the temperature of the wort to 69C (or do you drain the wort and refill the mash tun with fresh, hotter water?).
If you leave the original wort on the grain and raise the temperature, where are the unfermentable sugars coming from? The grain? I thought all the starch was converted in the first 60 minutes. Are the fermentable sugars being converted to unfermentables?
Although I seem to have a successful mash process I have to say I don’t really understand how it (the chemistry) works. Can anybody explain...please :tinhat:

So, while I get the bit about the 2 different temperature ranges and the effect on the type of sugar produced, I don’t understand the mechanics of the process.
You start with the grain and introduce water at, say 63C, dough in and keep it at 63C for 60 minutes. This should convert the starch in the grain to fermentable sugar, right?
You then raise the temperature of the wort to 69C (or do you drain the wort and refill the mash tun with fresh, hotter water?).
If you leave the original wort on the grain and raise the temperature, where are the unfermentable sugars coming from? The grain? I thought all the starch was converted in the first 60 minutes. Are the fermentable sugars being converted to unfermentables?
Although I seem to have a successful mash process I have to say I don’t really understand how it (the chemistry) works. Can anybody explain...please :tinhat:
I have highlighted the quote from BYO the lower mash temperature produces more fermentable sugar, making a beer thin and more alcohol, the higher temperature still converts starch to soluble sugar, but less fermentable.

I think the confusion is the timing. The rests for a step mash are relatively short, so conversion isn't complete before you raise the temperature for the next step. For example you might do 30 mins at 63c then 30 mins at 70c.

Eeek!

Stepped mashing is raising the mash temp in stages so you raise the temp to a level that optimises some enzymatic process and hold it there for a while, then move up to the next step for the next enzymatic process and hold there for a while. There are several enzymes at work so potentially several stops but the beta-amylase and alpha-amylase stops are arguably the most important. The other important factor is that as you raise the temperature above the optimum, you then “denature” that process ie it is destroyed and even if you lower the temperature again the denatured process cannot be restarted - it’s dead.

The starches in malt are the raw material and these enzymes break the starch down into short and long-chain sugars.

The beta-amylase process cuts small-chain sugars to produce maltose - this is highly fermentable so if you mash at this lower temperature all the sugars can be converted to alcohol, the final gravity is lower, the beer is thinner and drier.

The alpha-amylase process is optimal at the higher temperature and produces longer-chain sugars that the yeast cannot ferment (these sugars are effectively too big to pass through the cell wall of the yeast o cannot be metabolised). These longer chain sugars then add sweetness and body to the beer.

The temperature range for these processes overlap so most people use the range where both process can take place but that temperature is a middle ground.

A stepped mash makes the most of each enzymatic process.

I *may* have had too many beers to be eloquent but does this help at all? 😂

@the baron so are you getting a higher original gravity from the same malts with the step mash? Higher fermentability doesn't mean higher efficiency. You can't base it on the ABV of the beer.
Hi Drunkula Yes I am getting more sugar conversion from the same grain by step mashing and not basing the Eff on ABV, I thought that was how the Eff was measured by the amount of fermentables given out by the mash process?

I think the confusion is the timing. The rests for a step mash are relatively short, so conversion isn't complete before you raise the temperature for the next step. For example you might do 30 mins at 63c then 30 mins at 70c.
Thats what I did Steve 30 mins on each step

Thankyou gentlemen for your inputs I did know what and why it was improving the Eff but I questioned it because I thought that modern malts (modified) would not make much difference but obviously it is possible to extract the maximum fermentables by stepping still also thanks for the more scientific process being explained again I did know the basics of it but it makes it much clearer now as when somebody takes the time to post a reply I take the time to read it fully and hopefully sink it in to the grey matter
Thanks The Baron

The "modern malts don't require a step mash" just refers to the protein step really. If you can step mash accurately you can control the fermentability of the wort, getting better clarity and things like head stability in the process, without the need to add adjuncts.

Also your munich malts tend to be much lower in beta amylase than a pale ale malt, so an extended beta step will help you a lot in fermentability versus a compromise single infusion

One thing I have noticed I have always struggled to get as much Eff from my lager malts as Pale ale malts even with the correct mash temps but this stepping seems to have helped that

Yes @strange-steve you hit the nail on the head! TIMING. I was thinking a 60 minute mash at the lower temperature range was followed by another 30 minutes at the higher temperature range. And that didn’t make sense to me.
Oddly, my mash process is more of a “ramp” mash than a step mash. I start at around 63C for 15-20 minutes then (using my HERMS heat exchange) the temperature gradually increases over the last 40-45 minutes to 69C. The wort is drained and I do 2 subsequent 30 minute mashes at 69C, draining the wort in between mashes. Seems to work for me and achieves a Brewhouse efficiency in the high 70%. Thanks all for sorting my confusion :?:

Oddly, my mash process is more of a “ramp” mash than a step mash. I start at around 63C for 15-20 minutes then (using my HERMS heat exchange) the temperature gradually increases over the last 40-45 minutes to 69C.
I might be wrong but I think that kind of slowly ramped mash is used by some traditional Belgian breweries as a way of getting a highly fermentable wort. Of course the dough-in temperature and ramp time will affect just how fermentable it is.

I might be wrong but I think that kind of slowly ramped mash is used by some traditional Belgian breweries as a way of getting a highly fermentable wort. Of course the dough-in temperature and ramp time will affect just how fermentable it is.
The last two brews that I've done achieved Brewhouse efficiencies of 77% and 79% with OGs if 1.056 and 1.050 and FGs of 1.014 and 1.012. I'm happy with that athumb..

Just a data point but I noticed better efficiency as well when step mashing. Then I tried mashing at 65-68c and the same length of time overall and I have essentially had the same high efficiency. Add a mashout and it gets even better. This is using both of my all in one brewers. Basically 90 minutes plus mashout gives me the best efficiency.

Latest posts

Back