stephenj brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thought I'd start up a thread to track my thoughts and ideas on brew day. Yesterday brewed what turned out to be my 22nd AG brew which surprised me a little considering had about 6 months not brewing last year.

Anyway, yesterday did a clone of Wunder Lager by Brussels Beer project after getting a bottle in a Beer52 pack - link to their recipe is here Brussels Beer Project Homebrewing

Using brewfather to create and track, made a couple of changes to their profile, some through choice and 1 forced due to my idiocy of not checking inventory of hops, and realising during mash that I had no Mosaic. After some humming and haring I chose to swap with Azacca rather than Amarillo as didn't want to over power or lose the Citra.

Wunder Lager clone

4.7% / 12.1 °P
All Grain
BIAB
Batch Volume: 20 L
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU (Tinseth): 20
Color: 7.7 EBC

Mash

Temperature — 64 °C75 min
Malts (5 kg)
5 kg
(100%) — Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner — Grain — 4 EBC
Hops (175 g)
25 g
(17 IBU) — Cascade (Whole) 5.5% — Boil — 60 min
10 g
(4 IBU) — Azacca 15% — Boil — 5 min
10 g
— Citra (Whole) 12% — Boil — 0 min
10 g
— Columbus (Tomahawk) (Whole) 14% — Boil — 0 min
40 g
— Azacca 15% — Dry Hop — 3 days
40 g
— Cascade (Whole) 7% — Dry Hop — 3 days
40 g
— Citra (Whole) 12% — Dry Hop — 3 days
Yeast
1 pkg
— Lallemand (LalBrew) Diamond Lager
Fermentation
Primary — 14 °C1 days
Primary — 12 °C10 days
Primary — 8 °C4 days
Cold Crash — 2 °C
2 days

BIAB starting with 23 litres. End of mash 21 litres so added some top up water through the bag as it was draining and after squeeze pre-boil was 23 litres.

Brew day went well, other than the Mosaic issue. Boil off rate was much higher than usual and only got 17 litres in the FV (I normally get 20 litres - possible I might have miss read pre-boil capacity). However, it came out higher at 1.056 so I added 2 litres boiled and cooled water and after a good stir to combine came out at 1.048 so just 1 point below Brewfather OG. Took ages and a lot of water through the chiller to get down to 30c, so just put it in the FV and let it cool in the FV freezer before pitching 100ml re-hydrated yeast at about 8.30 last night (4 hours after end of brewing). Chugging away nicely today.

Going to add gelatine after cold crash before kegging and conditioning. Don't think I'll leave it to condition too long with it being a hoppy lager and I'll want to get it down my neck as soon as possible!!!

Just took a reading and has dropped to 1.008 which is a decent bit lower than the 1.013 (now coming out at 5.25.%). Not looked at it or touched it since brewing 11 days ago and was greeted by this. I think it looks like floating leftover **** from the Krausen but wanted to see if anyone could confirm as never had it before:

20200721_120416.jpg

Next question if you please. The brewers website I got the recipe from doesn't state any diacetyl temp increase and I can't get anything from the Lallemand Diamond yeast datasheet to suggest it needs it, however the sample I took had a slight 'spirit alcohol' smell, and a slightly strong alcohol taste. Temp has been perfectly controlled throughout at 12C. Any ideas on whether I should do a D rest, and if so at what temp? Should this be done before or after DH? (I don't really do lagers hence questions) Cheer in advance.

Once it’s attenuated down to around 50% (usually 5-6 days at lager temps) you can let it free rise up to 19/20 degrees for a diacetyl rest. Some people prefer to hold it for longer at lager temps before ramping it up but I’ve never noticed a difference personally

Cheers. Think I'll increase to 18-20c and dry hop at that temp for 3 days before cold crash for a couple of days.

Kegged the Wunder Lager clone on Thursday after 3 days at raised temp (18c), 3 days dry hop, and 2 days cold crash. Had a tester of this yesterday, lovely 'clean' mouth feel with the fruity/citrus hops coming through beautifully. No signs of off flavours so temp rise worked I assume. Not going to leave long to condition before attacking this as don't want the hoppy flavours to dissipate.

Back