Stepped Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathstar

Regular.
Reaction score
So, I’ve eventually built my fermentation fridge and conducted a few tests where were positive. Temp control with my WiFi Inkbird indicates a 0.3/0.4 C variation which surprised me.
it will cold crash all the way to -2C.

This leads me into my question.

What are the benefits of altering the fermentation temperature during the fermentation phases? Say starting a 19, then either going up or down. Is it actually a thing?

Obviously I now have the ability to cold crash at the end of the fermentation, but am I just better holding a stable temp during the lifecycle of the fermentation?

What are the benefits of altering the fermentation temperature during the fermentation phases? Say starting a 19, then either going up or down. Is it actually a thing?
Yes it is a thing, I do this with pretty much all my beers. The benefit is that you can start the fermentation at the cooler end for a cleaner profile then ramp it up to ensure complete attenuation. I brew a lot of Belgian beers and I find this is the best way to avoid flavours getting too "funky" while keeping the attenuation as high as possible.

Yes it is a thing, I do this with pretty much all my beers. The benefit is that you can start the fermentation at the cooler end for a cleaner profile then ramp it up to ensure complete attenuation. I brew a lot of Belgian beers and I find this is the best way to avoid flavours getting too "funky" while keeping the attenuation as high as possible.

So what do you generally do, 7 days at say 19, then 7 days at 21?

So what do you generally do, 7 days at say 19, then 7 days at 21?
Most of the flavour contribution from yeast happens in the early stages after pitching, so you could start ramping up the temperature after a couple of days without affecting the flavours. I actually tend to increase temperature more gradually, for example pitch at 18°c and ramp up by 1°/day up to about 23°c and hold it there until finished.

Latest posts

Back