stereliser & sewage treatment plants

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There may very well be a reason why you could be a very old man before you find a Scottish silver coin in Aberdeenshire.

There may also be a another reason why she may be a very old man before she finds one.

:laugh8: they're known as "grippers" round here for being tight & holding on to their money

:laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

That is a genuine "No sh1t Sherlock!" statement. There may very well be a reason why you could be a very old man before you find a Scottish silver coin in Aberdeenshire.

How about the Aberdonian who dropped a 50p piece. When he stooped to pick it up, it hit him on the back of his head.

Or the Aberdonian pervert who went up to the little girl and said "Do you want to buy a bag of sweeties?"

I rest my case! athumb..
That qualifies as hate speech

Twice this year some *ooker put wipes down our loos. Big notice - Human waste, loo roll only.
Septic threw a hissy,,,,, Always on my day off when it's *isshin doon.
I know all my rodding segments by name. Worm is my hero to go to, but I have a soft spot for chunky disk pusher. Glug, suck, glug suck gone,,,,,,,, Result!!!!

If our guests had a fookin inkling they would throw their hands up in horror.

Yesterday, backed up solid,,,, Pishin doon,, Me less than happy, rodding like fook. Partner says 'is that the right septic? (ignored_ ) then she opened up the other one and dropped the cover bolts in the *hite crust. Oooops, says she. Here's your gloves, get stuck in says I,,,,,,, Grrrrrrrr,
But the hero retrieved them,,, Bonus, good books! and septics going fine.

We've got a mate who uses those "wet wipes" when he's at home!

When he visited us in Scotland his first visit resulted in a blocked drain to the septic tank; after he had left, of course.

He stopped using "wet wipes" whenever he visited but used them back home where he was on mains-drainage.

Move forward about ten years. We had sold the house with the septic tank but retained the land alongside, complete with a caravan; and a toilet connected to the septic tank.

Our friend bought the land and caravan from us and as the owner, he started using the fecking "wet wipes" again ...

... right up until HE had to rod out HIS drain to HIS septic tank! :laugh8:

Now THAT was a Happy Day indeed! athumb..

That qualifies as hate speech

I was once stood at the bar in my local the Profiets Hotel (now the "Loch Kinord Hotel") in Dinnet on Deeside when a mate from England said something like "Okey! That's it! Outside!" in response to something I had said.

Quick as a flash, one of the locals jumped up and said to him "You wait your turn! There's half a dozen in here ahead of you!"

I like to think (but I'm still not 100% certain) that he had misinterpreted my mates sense of humour ... aunsure....

... and was only joking himself! clapa

we used to rent out our house back in Cumbria before we sold it & had to call out a company to clear a drain blockage. Two wheelbarrows of wet / baby wipes were removed from a junction, worst part was he was a flipping plumber

Back to the OP. I'm currently designing a pre-treatment plant for our brewery expansion. 200l (1.23 BB) 190 litre sump auto pump to two 200 litre settling tanks for PH neutralising then gradual release to our septic over the week. SEPA had given me a 400l weekly discharge limit. Planning to use a float system to remove the liquid waste. Just trying to sort how I shift the sludge into my composter - as it's going to be to good to waste! I have considered taking the old crust from our septic and putting that through a 'hot' summer composter to see how it copes!

I bet your onions will grow ready pickled! Seriously though that sounds like a challenge to cope with, just out of interest how often do SEPA check your outflow quality?

Over in France, where many people discharge their domestic waste into the ditch in front of their houses, they are now installing three-stage systems as follows:
  1. Standard Septic Tank with three bays:
    1. Inlet Camber to trap grease and oils. (With bottom take-off.)
    2. Central Chamber to digest solids. (With top take-off.)
    3. End Chamber to maintain anaerobic seal. (With bottom take off.)
  2. Sand Filter/Aerator comprising (from the bottom):
    1. Impermeable layer of polyethylene sheeting.
    2. "Wishbone" distribution from End Chamber of Septic Tank.
    3. Sand Filter. (*)
    4. Permeable layer of sheeting covered with grass.
    5. Open air "mushroom" connections through the permeable layer to the sand level.
    6. Straight collection pipe from the top of the full width of the sand filter/aerator.
  3. Collection Sump and Pump that:
    1. Receives filtered and aerated water from the collection pipe.
    2. Is fitted with a pump that operates on a "High/Low" level switch.
    3. Is connected via the pump by a pipe that routes the pumped water to a surface drain or ditch.
Where fitted (it will take some time to change over the older houses), they work a treat.

Gone are the days when cycling in the French countryside was an aromatic adventure! athumb..

(*)

The size of the System is in accordance with the size of the expected throughput which in turn is a feature of the size of the building to which it is attached.

For a small 2-bedroom house they may be as small as D = 1.5m, W = 5mm, L = 10m.

I bet your onions will grow ready pickled! Seriously though that sounds like a challenge to cope with, just out of interest how often do SEPA check your outflow quality?
Our raised beds are particularly fecund! The hop trub makes a brilliant mulch. We empty our composters once a year. In summer they are so hot it's amazing. Wormies love it!
Been here for 12 years. Never seen anyone from SEPA, but you never know,,,,

Last edited:
Back