Sterilising issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig57

Reaction score
Good morning, just a quick question, can you use Milton sterilising fluid or tablets to sterilise equipment bottles etc instead of shop bought steriising powder bought from brew shops?

Yes I've used it for years, it's a no rinse stereliser but beer brewers tend to rinse to be on the safe side.

oh wonderful. i have a contact for that stuff so will get some now as it will be free to use. Thanks again Chippy

I used this a couple of times years ago. I recall after the event reading that it inhibited head retention?! I could be going mad though. Am having a google and so far I have this thread where the fellow suggests a direct response from Milton re dilution and avoidance of use with metals.

I think the big thing is a good rinse after.

VWP, like all chlorine-based sanitisers, can attack stainless steel causing it to rust which could taint your beer. I prefer to use oxi type cleaners on my stainless steel.

A good point Kelper but the OP isn't asking about cleaners what do you use on stainless steel if you don't use chlorine based sanitisers.

I should have said oxi-type sanitisers. Those containing sodium percarbonate. But he could also use Starsan or Chemsan.

It seems there are (at least) two kinds of stainless steel: the 304, which our brewpots are made of- at least SS Brewtec stuff is made of, and a 316 stainless steel which is specifically designed to be resistant to chlorine-based compounds for use in maritime conditions. Even so, cleaning up the pots with a bit of Milton or bleach solution isn't going to do a great deal of damage in the short term. Prolonged soaking, on the other hand would probably cause some pitting.

Last edited:
304 can withstand 2ppm and 316 5ppm which is quite a low concentration. Once your stainless steel is pitted it will be even more prone to corrosion. Why risk it when there are alternatives?

This is getting a little off topic the OP didn't mention stainless so lets wait until he replies rather than go into a lengthy debate on what's best and worst for stainless steel. thumb.

Thanks for the input from all, just seems the threads were heading into a whole new world of brewing and going off kilter somewhat. The post was basically asking if Milton steriliser can be used instead of the others bought from brewing shops. As im new at this im guided at the moment by differing comments from friends and others who've dipped their toes in the home brewing world some is contradictory so im trying to get a level head on matters. Presently im trying out the Beaverdale kits and also have tried the WOW (just bottled that today) but because everyone is saying cleanliness is the main factor when wine doesnt turn out well i sterilise everything (probably too much) but i want to rule that aspect out should something go wrong. Im currently using a no rinse steriliser that came with all my equipment but its running low, hence the question about Milton.
Hope this helps and thanks again Chippy for the constructive help.

I used this a couple of times years ago. I recall after the event reading that it inhibited head retention?! I could be going mad though. Am having a google and so far I have this thread where the fellow suggests a direct response from Milton re dilution and avoidance of use with metals.

I think the big thing is a good rinse after.
If you have anything bad in your water a rinse after sanitizing will defeat the purpose. I've been using starsan for a long time with no rinse and good beer.

Just a quick shout out for thin unscented bleach as a sanitiser (again, sorry), it's all I ever use and have had no issues.

Edit: Just for clarity that's on glass and plastic :laugh8:

cleaning up the pots with a bit of Milton or bleach solution isn't going to do a great deal of damage in the short term. Prolonged soaking, on the other hand would probably cause some pitting.
If it's doing that to pots and pans what's it doing to the insides of babies ashock1

I have always used the powder type steriliser (currently the one from Youngs) and havn't had a problem. I found the wilko version a bit granular & difficult to dissolve.

The stainless steel equipment I use is a stockpot for mash/boil and an old steamer that I transfer the mash to for sparging. Neither of those seem to be suffering from corrosion, but then I don't leave them in the steriliser for more than about 15 minutes

Always better to use an alkaline cleaner before an acid sanitiser, never used Milton, believe that is used as a killer of yeast (thrush) don't know if it only applies to candida or if it can knock off Saccharomyces cerevisiae as well.

Latest posts

Back