Sterilising long things?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I once made the mistake of leaving VWP to soak overnight in a plastic pressure barrel. It took a major effort to get it free of the chlorine smell afterwards because plastic is porous and the damn stuff had soaked in.

I'm surprised as I use plastic FVs and have left them full of SVP for 2 or 3 days many times with no problems. For rinsing I hold the FV upside down in the garden and spray the inside with cold water from a hosepipe for a few minutes, going round and round the sides and base, and I've never noticed a smell of chlorine afterwards. Maybe a pressure barrel would be harder to do that with as it's heavier than a FV and would be difficult to hold upside down in one hand while doing the hosepipe thing with the other.

Well I've ordered some Star San. I'm going to try VWP for cleaning (I rinse three times after use) and Star San before / during use. Do you actually need to let Star San dry before use? I hadn't spotted that. From you tube people seem to give everything a quick spray, wait a couple of minutes and crack on.
When I do bottles in VWP I immerse them in a 23L FV and wait ten minutes the rinse. It holds about 17 bottles at a time so I guess about an hour with rinsing. Its all the other bits that seem to take the time.
Made my first all grain yesterday - another member inspired by the recent 'Why Not Have a Go' BIAB thread on HBF. Its bubbling away better that any extract kit I've made. I'm using 15L FVs to match 15L stockpot (Wilko) and I syphoned the wort out of the pot to leave trub behind but the syphon jumped out of the FV (clip now on order). Wort all over the kitchen floor and I grabbed the tube from the floor and stuffed it back in the FV so I guess I'm about to get practical lesson in what I can get away with sanitation wise. Guess I should drink it quick to minimise risk !

Latest posts

Back