Sterilising PET bottles for short term storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will B

Reaction score
Hi - sorry if stupid Q but I want to bottle beer for some friends from the keg. The beer is only going to be in there a couple of days. Do I really need to sterilise them? Help appreciated! Thank you!

Thanks - out of interest what do you think is the best way to sterilise PET bottles without using boiling water and putting them out of shape?? Thank you!!

I use PET bottles and prep them the day before (since they get re-used) by a gentle clean with a brush, a rinse, then about 100ml of VWP solution in the bottom. This gets a shake every now and again. Then before bottling VWP down the sink then at least 3 rinses with tap water before the beer goes in.
All that said if you put beer from a PB into a bottles it will have lost quite a lot of its carbonation and may well be quite flat at bottle opening time. I suggest you try out your idea before you go ahead supplying your friends with what could turn out to be flat beer. That said it might work athumb..

Cheers! I had tried bottling for myself already and it worked. Just didn't want to risk poisoning anyone else. It is ale so is already quite flat..thank you...

I use Antiformin S, diluted at 30cc per gallon, for all my sterilising, and have never had any problems. I keep a bucket of it on the sink for thermometer, hydrometer, cask taps and tops etc., and an old 5 gallon plastic FV of it underneath for larger items. I use 1 litre Robinsons Squash bottles, and submerge them in the old FV for a few days, then empty them, and without rinsing store them upside down in a cardboard bottle carrier until needed. A quick rinse, then fill via a small bore pipe from the bottom of the bottle, and Bob’s your Uncle.

Antiformin contains Sodium Hydroxide, so treat it as an enemy and were rubber gloves when handling the concentrate.

Back