sterilising / sanitising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Regards sterilising/sanitising.
For years i have just washed down with hot and boiling water then cleaned, washed and rinsed everything in baby sterilising tablets from wilkos or the supermarket. I've never had any problem but is this just through lucky? Is it fine to carry on doing or is this a disaster waiting to happen?

Sounds like you are doing well enough.

I remember some reference to brewing in the 1700's and they were just using boiling water. Plus all the brewing equipment belonged to the women.

Plastics don't like boiling water in general (Neither do hydrometers) so I would soak or wash those in sterilising solution of your choice.

I just use boiling water and have done for years, even on the FV. Never had a problem with infections. After all, heat penetrates everything whereas chemicals don't.
These days though I've gone high-tech and do my bottles for 10 minutes in the oven at 110C.

Regards sterilising/sanitising.
For years i have just washed down with hot and boiling water then cleaned, washed and rinsed everything in baby sterilising tablets from wilkos or the supermarket. I've never had any problem but is this just through lucky? Is it fine to carry on doing or is this a disaster waiting to happen?
Isn't baby steriliser designed to kill yeast ie thrush?

You are doing just fine

Milton fluid is bleach based (hypochlorite) not sure about the tablets?

The important thing is at least you are aware of the need for sanitationathumb..

I’m confused, is the OP asking if boiling water followed by Milton tablets is not enough (it definitely is enough), or is he asking if sterilising tablets are ok to use?

Not sure Mick, I wonder if he means the "rinsed" bit, you have to leave the solution 15 minutes to do it's thing so in my view rinsing is not letting it do that I use Milton and pur a couple of litres into my FV then slosh it round so all surfaces are covered I do this a couple of times during the 15 minutes and haven't had any problems.

For years i have just washed down with hot and boiling water then cleaned, washed and rinsed everything in baby sterilising tablets from wilkos

Back