Steve Smith.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at a diagram and they're made similarly which I though was very interesting and I didn't know the cricket ball was harder. Honestly, before looking into this I had some vague idea they were like a croquet ball and much heavier. I guessed that since the way the ball is delivered with the arm motion (I don't know the nomenclature).

We have tennis, golf, billiards (pool), bowling and diving and probably more where you're not likely to hear any booing but only clapping even when booing may be "deserved." I forgot gymnastics, in general.

I've always been a quieter, more subdued fan and would sit and pay attention. I clap, don't yell. I might have booed twice, maybe, in my life at a pro event but it was in jest. I would never boo amateurs.
Basically, I don't think I'm the type of fan wanted at a baseball, basketball, hockey or football game.

I went to the test at OT yesterday and Smith was still being booed which is wrong. Got his own back today unfortunately. Also it was bloody cold there, tests in Manchester in September crazy.

Cheating isn't exactly cricket, is it?
I think he deserves all he gets, including a few "awkward" balls courtesy of Mr. Archer...

I went to the test at OT yesterday and Smith was still being booed which is wrong. Got his own back today unfortunately. Also it was bloody cold there, tests in Manchester in September crazy.
Agreed, however he was roundly applauded as he left the field by all as far as I could see on the 'telly. As to tests at Old Trafford in September - you were lucky, we have the last 2 home county (4 day) matches = back to back, starting Tuesday next week. It's going to be cold and wet on the Pavilion terrace - time for the winter combinations ! :cool:

I remember the Atherton grit in pocket incident very well but, come on there's a big difference between having a little bit of grit in your pocket and brazenly taking chunks of sandpaper onto the pitch to scrub the ball with between overs. :laugh8:

With around 16 TV cameras covering every part of the pitch in modern international cricket the Aussies had to be either very daft or completely brass necked - or both.

Yeh remember the Atherton dirt in the pocket, again cheating not to be condoned, that said if you watch bowlers doing warm up bowls and banging it into the ground, I am pretty sure this is often done to rough up the ball. To be fair Smith is a great batsmen, it really is a pity he has tarnished his reputation.
I don't mind the boo boys, it shows they are passionate.

Is that Mr archer the English man :laugh8::laugh8:

His dad's English - seems to be ok by todays standards.
Failing that, give Mr Broad a couple of extra Shredded Wheat for breakfast, and turn his aggression dial up a bit...

Yeh remember the Atherton dirt in the pocket, again cheating not to be condoned, that said if you watch bowlers doing warm up bowls and banging it into the ground, I am pretty sure this is often done to rough up the ball. To be fair Smith is a great batsmen, it really is a pity he has tarnished his reputation.
I don't mind the boo boys, it shows they are passionate.

Agreed

Cricket fans Booing is annoying but this has taken it to a whole new level (a very low one) I never thought cricket fans would stoop to the level of some football fans.

Racist and homophobic abuse' forces fan to leave fourth Ashes Test (BBC News - 2 hours ago)

An England cricket fan says "racist and homophobic abuse" forced him to leave the fourth Ashes Test between England and Australia at Old Trafford.

Ed Marsh says Lancashire took three days to respond to his complaint.

"Even after 72 hours there was nothing substantive in the response I received," Marsh told BBC Sport.

A spokesperson said the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) was "immensely disturbed that a spectator has felt intimidated and distressed".

A statement added: "We are working with Lancashire to understand what has occurred and we also recognise their work previously in tackling anti-social behaviour.

"It is vitally important that all supporters feel able to come forward and report anti-social behaviour and feel safe in doing so."

Marsh, who attended the Test with his parents, in their sixties, and his sister, said a group of eight men were singing a racist song about England's Barbados-born fast bowler Jofra Archer.

He also said female fans were subjected to sexist chants, while players were on the end of homophobic abuse from the same group.

Marsh made his complaint via social media on Thursday, the second day of the Test.

In a statement Lancashire said they have a "zero tolerance policy on anti-social behaviour" .

It added that "two response teams were sent to the scene but did not witness any foul or abusive language".

Marsh said the group in question turned on him and his family as they left the Lightning Stand, which is at the Statham End of the ground.

"There is a clear lack of policy enforcement and I am amazed that in 2019 the sport doesn't have a mechanism to report this sort of incident in a way that doesn't identify you to the perpetrators," Marsh added.

"The Archer chant happened three times before I spoke to a steward on the day but being asked to identify people who are two metres away makes you a target. It was scary. It could have got physical and nasty.

"People talk about the atmosphere at cricket and most of it is good natured but this was sustained anti-social behaviour. If you are from a minority background, why would you go?"

The news follows two Australia fans being ejected from Old Trafford for using "foul and abusive" language towards Archer, 24, on the first day of the Test.

In 1999, the ECB commissioned a report into racism in the sport to ensure that all cricketers and those associated with the game are treated with respect.

Australia sealed a 185-run win over England at Old Trafford on Sunday to retain the Ashes.

That is not good to hear.

I do think songs sung by groups of men have always been borderline appropriate and often these songs have been passed down. I am thinking about songs sung by rugby teams etc.

Most of these songs/references are just a bit past it, in terms of appropriateness. I am hoping it is just a group who aren't that used to going to cricket and won't return. Generally (except Lords) the crowds seem good humoured if not a little boisterous.

They are saying we could get a draw (though highly unlikely) and we would be so proud if we could pull it off, this is one of the reasos I don't watch cricket

Back