Stigman's lemony brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thought i would show you a few pics from my new years eve brewday. I nicked the recipe from Adam@baldys brewery (slightly tweaked) I've no idea where this is going to finish he got 1.070 I watered down to 24.5L still had 1.086. Oh well I like em strong hic!

Recipe- lemon meringue pie
3kg pilsner
2.5kg wheat malt
500g biscuit
3packs of digestives
1kg maltodextrin
500g lactose
Zest from 6 lemons
10g Apollo @60
20g Motueka @20
30g Motueka @fo
50g Motueka dry hop
10 lemons juice and all into fv after, 6 days

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0886.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

DSC_0890.jpg

DSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0893.jpg

DSC_0894.jpg

DSC_0896.jpg

DSC_0901.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

Nice looking brew :thumb:
It'll be interesting to see where it finishes with all those unfermentables.

Fair play, this sounds incredible. Like lemon meringue pie in a beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've just put this on cold crash still producing pressure to dome the fv lid but I think that's just coming from the lemons.
I'm not sure where this should finish due to all the unfermentables, but it's gone from 1.086 to 1.027 that's 7.7%abv 67%attenuation. Brewers friend says lactose and maltodextrin gives 21 points. If I take that away from them both that gives 1.065 to 1.006 7,7%abv and a massive 90%attenuation. Have I done this right and has anyone else got 90% from US-05

I don't think you can just deduct SG points like that. A 59 point drop from 1.086 to 1.027 corresponds to a higher abv than a 59 point drop from 1.065 to 1.006. Regardless, this is a high attenuation. Was is a particularly low temp or long mash?

Thanks Ian Brewers friend says 7.7% for both just changes apparent attenuation figures from 67% to 90%. Regards the mash, it was 60mins at 66.5 dropped to 65 after the hour.

Thanks Ian Brewers friend says 7.7% for both just changes apparent attenuation figures from 67% to 90%. Regards the mash, it was 60mins at 66.5 dropped to 65 after the hour.

I think the alternative formula will give a higher abv for the same drop at higher OG. The higher attenuation could be partly explained by sugar from the biscuits?

I was bored the other night and have always been a bit suspicious of that alternate formula on Brewer's Friend so I did some research. I now have a spreadsheet which calculates abv by turning FG into real extract, abw then abv which some other sites use. The higher figures show 7.83% and the lower 7.76% (7.74% on the standard formula) so the higher OG does affect things but not as much as the brewer's friend alternate would suggest.

Beer sounds very interesting, keen to see if the digestives do give a flavour that survives through to the end.

I was bored the other night and have always been a bit suspicious of that alternate formula on Brewer's Friend so I did some research. I now have a spreadsheet which calculates abv by turning FG into real extract, abw then abv which some other sites use. The higher figures show 7.83% and the lower 7.76% (7.74% on the standard formula) so the higher OG does affect things but not as much as the brewer's friend alternate would suggest.

I just got 7.65% and 7.44% using the formula in this recent paper here, which aggregates multiple data sets together, so same sort of ballpark as yours. I guess I'll use this in future abv calcs.

I just got 7.65% and 7.44% using the formula in this recent paper here, which aggregates multiple data sets together, so same sort of ballpark as yours. I guess I'll use this in future abv calcs.
Woah, a lot of maths in that article, my calcs are the same as used in the brewunited calculator. Good to know they are pretty close.

Sorry for the derail @stigman. :-)

@stigman: Just saw Steve's review of this beer, glad it came out so well. He focused on the lemon a lot, did the biscuits and biscuit malt get lost or is it balancing out the tart flavours? Would you mash digestives again? Now there's an unusual sentence. :-)

@stigman: Just saw Steve's review of this beer, glad it came out so well. He focused on the lemon a lot, did the biscuits and biscuit malt get lost or is it balancing out the tart flavours? Would you mash digestives again? Now there's an unusual sentence. :-)

It did a little I think it would have been better with maris otter instead of the pilsner

I was thinking that, maybe MO with some munich would add some more nutty, biscuity flavours.

Latest posts

Back