Still active fermentation after 6 weeks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinBase

Reaction score
Hi

i started a couple gallons of dark fruit wine start feb, pitched yeast after a cpl days (hydrometer 1.100, using lalvin ec-1118 yeast) and racked into secondary after a week. it's 6 weeks later since i racked it off and it's still fermenting away strongly with a good bubble every 8 seconds, and has shown no signs of slowing down in the slightest. I can't remember any of my previous brews taking this long (about a month max in secondary is usually enough to finish). The wine is always kept in the same place at room temp, so i have no idea why this is taking so much extra time, & from past experience as to the amount of co2 being produced, i would estimate it has another 2 weeks or so to go lol. I dont think it's anything to worry about, but any ideas please as to why this batch is taking so long?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob, airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean fermentation activity. Are you able to draw off a sample and take another reading?

If there's still some sugars it might be down to stressed yeast. I've found with wine yeast unless I use nutrients fermentation can take long time. I also get "healthier" ferments if I rehydrate the yeast.

I'm primarily a beer brewer and with beer it's important to oxygenate the wort before pitching yeast. I tend to do the same with wines, but not sure if that's good or bad. With beer, if the wort isn't oxygenated it can lead to long ferments.

Thanks for the reply.

I have just taken a reading at exactly 1.000 - normally i would expect my fermented out wine to be about 0.992. For some of my recent brew's i have started to add yeast nutrient at the same time as the pectolase and then sprinkle the yeast on top of the must 24hrs later (previously i always rehydrated for 15 mins, and added the yeat nutrient to the warm water then). I didn't document what method i used for this wine, but havent noticed any overly long ferments on others where i just used the 'sprinkling' method - i didnt think it would make a difference as many people seem to do it this way.

Are you saying you feel it's always better to rehydrate the yeast before adding? and that in this case i should just leave the wine until it totally stops bubbling no matter how long it takes.

regards

Bob

Are you saying you feel it's always better to rehydrate the yeast before adding? and that in this case i should just leave the wine until it totally stops bubbling no matter how long it takes.
Yes :). For my wines and ciders I boil water, pour into a measuring jug and wait until the water gets to 30-40°c, then sprinkle in the yeast. Wait 5 mins and stir, then pitch. I also add nutrients by dissolving in boiling water and pouring into the juice before the yeast goes in. I find this gives a good fermentation. However, I've also read with cider (so I also assume the same with wines) a long fermentation can be beneficial. If you were planning to condition the wine for some time then it's pretty much doing that in a long ferment like this. If you're in no hurry, it might be worth waiting until fermentation is complete and seeing if it comes out better than normal?

If you can't wait, gently rocking the FV so as not to splash, but rouse the yeast back into suspension might help, as might increasing the temperature of the fermenter by a couple of degrees.

On a side note, there is a big debate on whether dried yeast does need to be rehydrated these days. My empirical evidence is yes it does as I have much healthier fermentations with beer, cider and wines whenever I do. Like all these things, do what works for you!

As I was writing this I had another thought that a low pH can inhibit yeast activity, but the pH has to be very low and would probably be noticeable in other ways. It's more likely a lack of nutrients and/or O2.

Back