Stir Plate how to with lots of pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
regaltabs said:
Thanks RokDok

Anyone found this useful yet? Seems to have had a lot of views but only one comment. :sulk:

Many thanks for all the info on the build and where to source the bits. I have just completed the build and it works just fine. The only things I did differently were
1 I mounted the fan on legs made of 4mm threaded studding fixed to the bottom of the box in order to avoid having bolt heads on the top of the stir plate.
2 I also mounted a speed controller with a red LED on it. Unfortunately at anything other than full speed the the fan emits a loud whine. So I drilled a hole in the case just in front of the LED to make it look a bit more flash.
Incidently I used an old Nokia phone charger as the power supply.

Without your help it would have taken me much longer if ever at all to build. It's by far the best build that I have seen.

I have just revived yeast from a 30 year old bottle of Courage Imperial Russian Stout using this stir plate. I put the starter on the stirrer and left it for 48 hours then switched it off. After another 24 hours there are definite signs of yeast activity and I have restarted the stir plate. How long should I leave it on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Evening All,

+1 for Regaltabs idea; I made tornados ! Or... is that waterspouts ? :hmm:

9709160685_10b79ddb7d_b.jpg

9712396790_193392115f_b.jpg

9709159067_6fb7f46a28_b.jpg

Can anyone comment on whether my plan for electrics will work. I'm wanting to build a double stir plate with 2x 1L flasks on it. This gives me a bit more flexibility if I'm brewing two batches in a weekend, if I drop one flask I should still be able to salvage my day, but more importantly it gives me the great Breaking Bad look in my flat.

So my plan is this:

1x 12V DC power supply, connected to a DC female socket. Connect the socket to a Molex 'Y' connector (to split the power), connect a single Zalman Fan Mate to each branch (so I can control the speed on each independently), a simple illuminated rocker switch then connect to the fan.

Does anyone with better electronic knowledge know any more on whether this will work?

Back