Stirring after starting fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electronurd

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First time poster here and I would just like some advice please.

Yesterday I started a 5 gallon batch of Turbo cider. I added my apple juice, nutrient, about a cup of sugar, pectolase and yeast.

I did however forget to stir everything together before adding the yeast(I got all excited).... Would I get away with taking the top off and stirring everything together? or should I just leave it be?

Thanks

As you haven't added extra sugar there is nothing to dissolve so I think it'll be fine.

Actually I have added sugar about half a bag of tate and lyles as I wanted something about 6% ish... it looks likes it's settled on the bottom though?? so back to my original question as to whether I should stir?

Most of the TC recipes here don't call for extra sugar so I assimed you hadn't added any, i would give it a stir with a sterelise spoon others may say the yeast will find the sugar even if you don't stir.

Most of the TC recipes here don't call for extra sugar so I assimed you hadn't added any, i would give it a stir with a sterelise spoon others may say the yeast will find the sugar even if you don't stir.

Yeah no problem.... i just thought an extra bit of sugar will get me a little more % as I'm having friends over on the 1st of June for the football. To be honest my thought was to just leave it as the yeast will eat the sugar at the bottom anyway but once I did it I got this urge this morning to take the lid off and stir and had to stop myself and ask someone first as to whether it would ruin it?

If you want 6% just take care what apple juice you buy. I always use Tescos apple juice (not the value kind) and get 6.5% ABV every time. I initially chose it after checking the sugar content on the box and comparing with others - but be careful, some give it per 100ml, others per 150ml. Makes a nice cider without any other additions at all, other than cider yeast of course.

If you want 6% just take care what apple juice you buy. I always use Tescos apple juice (not the value kind) and get 6.5% ABV every time. I initially chose it after checking the sugar content on the box and comparing with others - but be careful, some give it per 100ml, others per 150ml. Makes a nice cider without any other additions at all, other than cider yeast of course.

How very weird.... i think i've chosen the exact same apple juice as you from tesco... it's not the value one, its the one above that at the 70p to 80p mark. However!! i've added half a bag of sugar to 22 litres.... what do you think my end result will be?

Thanks

Giving it a quick stir would be fine at an early stage anyway.

How very weird.... i think i've chosen the exact same apple juice as you from tesco... it's not the value one, its the one above that at the 70p to 80p mark. However!! i've added half a bag of sugar to 22 litres.... what do you think my end result will be?
I think a basic rule of thumb is you get an extra 1% per 500g of sugar in a 5 gallon brew. So you're looking at about 7 - 7.5% which is what I get from the juice from my cider apple trees.

I think a basic rule of thumb is you get an extra 1% per 500g of sugar in a 5 gallon brew. So you're looking at about 7 - 7.5% which is what I get from the juice from my cider apple trees.

Thanks for this. Good to know as this is my first time so i'll keep that in mind.

Hi Cwrw666, Can I ask you what hydrometer reading you get from that brand of tesco apple juice please. I didn't get an initial reading when I started and so will have no idea what my end abv will actually be... but if you have an intial reading when you use that juice, I can be then there or there abouts if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Hi CMRW666 do you mind me asking what, specific, apple juice you use. I am trying to get my eye in on the correct 'type' of juices after some mishaps!
Was it in the chilled section?
Is it from concentrate - as long as it is 100% just juice?

Many thanks!

Hi CMRW666 do you mind me asking what, specific, apple juice you use. I am trying to get my eye in on the correct 'type' of juices after some mishaps!
Was it in the chilled section?
Is it from concentrate - as long as it is 100% just juice?

Many thanks!

Sorry to jump in here but the juice he is talking about is the following which is what I have used in my batch:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256443227

I have used it with the following yeast:

https://brewmart.co.uk/yeasts-for-h...ast-sweet-for-home-brewing-5031174300028.html

After about 4 days mine has fermented out and is now at 1000. I have tried it and it tastes very nice! Once carb'd up I would imagine even better.

Hope that helps... I really think the yeast with sweetener is the way to go... don't use the stuff from the fridges that's got loads of water in and you will get a watery product.... Also that apple juice above doesn't label any citric acid so possibly another bonus.

Electronurd - thank you SO much...that is exactly the one I got! So...that's a relief!!

I will of course try myself, but...
  • If you do not use yeast with sweetener, how does it come out/taste?
  • Is this the juice to use with Lowitcz syrups too?
  • It sounds like it is 'ready' very quickly - I am sure it improves with a little age, but how long from adding the yeast is it ready to drink!?

Electronurd - thank you SO much...that is exactly the one I got! So...that's a relief!!

I will of course try myself, but...
  • It sounds like it is 'ready' very quickly - I am sure it improves with a little age, but how long from adding the yeast is it ready to drink!?

I feel like i'm fooling you Daniel as this is my very first batch and first time brewing. I know not to pick the chilled fruit juice just after doing a bit of research.

To try and answer your questions though:
No idea. I have heard you get a slightly drier flavour... if the juice has no citric acid I would imagine you get quite a flat flavour that you will have to back sweeten to your taste. I took the guess work out as it was my first batch and went with the one that had sweetener.
Really good question and funnily enough I was in sainsburys last night and picked up 2 bottles of raspberry Lowitcz syrup which I intend to trial in demijohns this weekend using two different methods. So weird you said that.... like a mind reader lol​
I will put my recipe at the bottom but I used the following yeast nutrient:
https://brewmart.co.uk/yeast-nutrients/751-tron-ozymol-100--5016362063060.html

I have no idea if that nutrient aided the time to ferment out whatsoever so for me it is a 'possibly' on that one. I also kept the bucket at a constant temp by placing my central heating thermostat in the guest room where the bucket was left to ferment. I had it at a constant temp of 20c. During vigorous fermentation the batch went from 22c to 24c and then just stopped and cooled down by itself down to 20c which is where it currently sits.

I plan on drinking it on the 1st of June... there is a little festival in my town and we are having friends over who do not want to spend too much money on booze so... at the weekend I will bottle it up and it will be sat in the bottles for about 2 weeks to carb up and age slightly.

On the question of when to drink really is down to you. I took an SG reading of 1000 and that's a clear indication that the cider has fermented out so from that point you could drink it.... However.... it's cloudy from the yeast so would need time to settle for a nice end product.... but if you like cloudy cider then crack on. I would imagine after 2 weeks of carbing though the cider will have settled and be ready to drink and clear.
My Recipe
22ltres of the apple juice from tesco
500 grams of sugar (to be honest.... i wish i'd not done this as I'm guessing this thing is about 7-7.5%... I did want less and will not add this in future)
pectolase as per packet instructions
yeast nutrient as per packet instructions
Yeast with sweetner(linked above)

1 word of advice... before adding the yeast give it a stir with a long spoon.... I didn't hence the topic I created here lol

I didn't add any tanning to the brew which is something I will add in my next batch this weekend(using the same yeast) to see if it alters the flavour profile at all and give it depth and colour.

Hope that all helps let me know if you have any other questions...

Electronurd - no worries...no one is fooling anyone...it is always good just to get other peoples' take on things!

I was on this forum a fair bit last year as I was then dipping my toe in the brewing pool for the first time. I am back this year with a new thirst. I think I know my errors last year...and want to refine my process (for wines and ciders) so I can get not just quick turn around (TCs) but better tasting product!

I made a batch of just cherry cider earlier in the year...but again, I didn't realise I was using the long-life stuff...with sweetener. It was drinkable...but not any good!

Thanks for the words of wisdom - good luck with your brews. Keep us posted!

Electronurd - no worries...no one is fooling anyone...it is always good just to get other peoples' take on things!

I was on this forum a fair bit last year as I was then dipping my toe in the brewing pool for the first time. I am back this year with a new thirst. I think I know my errors last year...and want to refine my process (for wines and ciders) so I can get not just quick turn around (TCs) but better tasting product!

I made a batch of just cherry cider earlier in the year...but again, I didn't realise I was using the long-life stuff...with sweetener. It was drinkable...but not any good!

Thanks for the words of wisdom - good luck with your brews. Keep us posted!

Will do.

Aah right see what you mean.... yeah I would imagine that would affect the taste somewhat.... Surely it was just sweet though?? was it sour? dry? watery?

I would hate to make the same mistakes

I simply added yeast and some other bits, from memory, to long-life cherry juice from tesco - but realised afterwards it had sweetener in it.

It is alcoholic...but it tastes like nail varnish remover, watery, and 'thin'..And tasteless. But had a sweetness. I find I can taste artificial sweeteners...and this tasted of it!

I simply added yeast and some other bits, from memory, to long-life cherry juice from tesco - but realised afterwards it had sweetener in it.

It is alcoholic...but it tastes like nail varnish remover, watery, and 'thin'..And tasteless. But had a sweetness. I find I can taste artificial sweeteners...and this tasted of it!

Oh right... possibly needed to boil the cherry juice first for 10 mins?

On a side note I really find the sweetened yeast agreeable and is delicate in it's sweetness... not over not under.

Something else I forgot to mention... i used a fermentation bucket with a lid that had a hole and a rubber grommet. I sealed around the rubber grommet with a little bit of silicone... i found carbon dioxide was escaping past the grommet and not going through the bubble trap as much.... as soon I i fixed that it all went mental.

Back