Stockpot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Soo...It seems I am about to come into a bit of cash due to a court case for damages that I just won.

I was looking at a grainfather system but I cannot justify that amount of cash when other things need doing around the house.

I can probably go up to say £200. With so much choice out there, it's a bit tough to make a decent decision. All advice welcome and if you have one for sale then lemme know here. Won't be able to do it for a week or so, I've not been paid off yet ;) Cheers ;)

Im a broken record but I think these are great for the cash Maischfest Mash Kettle

Made plenty of great beer in mine. Other all in one brew systems are available 😂
That looks interesting and very reasonable. I've no more than an academic interest in all-in-onesies, but I always wonder how you mash the mash in such a system. Is there some kind of recirculation going on or can you get a paddle in there and give it a good-well, mashing.

Mashing doesn't need physical 'mashing' - it just needs holding at a tempt (usually around 67c) for a period to get the Malt to release the sugar.

I used to jug and pour the wort to recirculate but I found this actually messed with my temps. I wrap mine in a camping mat and a couple of towels for good measure and it holds the temp very steady now - and when it drops the heater heats the wort around the Malt pipe like a bain-marie - I have a temp probe right in the mash and while the heater may kick in if required, the Malt stays relatively uniform in temp if left well alone for the mash period. I do sparge with about 5 litres but I'm going to try dropping that (and adding the liquid at the start to the mash) and see how it goes for me. One less step.

Mashing doesn't need physical 'mashing' - it just needs holding at a tempt (usually around 67c) for a period to get the Malt to release the sugar. [...] I do sparge with about 5 litres but I'm going to try dropping that (and adding the liquid at the start to the mash) and see how it goes for me. One less step.
Holding at temp activates the enzymes that convert the starches in the grain to sugars; but the tastiest parts of these are quite sticky and do benefit from being washed off the surface of the grains by sparging and/or recirculating.

Holding at temp activates the enzymes that convert the starches in the grain to sugars; but the tastiest parts of these are quite sticky and do benefit from being washed off the surface of the grains by sparging and/or recirculating.
Thank you, crowcrow, I know that. But I also find that there can be quite a variation in temperature throughout the mash, hence the need for a good paddling at the start and every now and then at the beginning of the mash cycle until the temperature settles out. i would think a system which uses an insulated stock pot sitting on a heat source would need stirring more frequently.
So. My real question, I suppose, is, how, in a all-in-onesie with a heating element somewhere at the bottom, do you get the mash to be an even temperature throughout?

Edit
Sorry, Engineer, I've replied to your reply to crowcrow instead of to crowcrow. Time to go back to bed, I think.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting input here. However, after reading the flaws by a review of this Klarstein system. The alarm bells started to ring in my head with regards to the cut outs from said reviewer and my last investment in a burco boiler. So many cut outs just made it impossible to mash a brew in that burco unless I found a part to stop the BIAB from sitting on the element - thus in theory, stopping the cut outs from the element.

Hence why I am asking about the best stockpot to buy - unless I can be persuaded other wise. But nice tips I am getting here too =)

I use a converted tea urn for BIAB with a SS grill similar to this.
Regarding the cut outs, I learned my lesson - never use the heating element (3kW) at full power. I got an inexpensive power controller and boil at 55 to 60% power. For mash heat up - no more than 15%.

Hmm interesting input here. However, after reading the flaws by a review of this Klarstein system. The alarm bells started to ring in my head with regards to the cut outs from said reviewer and my last investment in a burco boiler. So many cut outs just made it impossible to mash a brew in that burco unless I found a part to stop the BIAB from sitting on the element - thus in theory, stopping the cut outs from the element.

Hence why I am asking about the best stockpot to buy - unless I can be persuaded other wise. But nice tips I am getting here too =)
My klarstein fullhorn (not an all in one, just the boiler) came with a perforated disk that sits in the bottom for mashing.
It holds the biab just above the level of the tap. I can the recirculate/sparge with a jug from the tap.
I think others on here have made similar or purchased them, but you would need to check the dimensions of your boiler to see if there is a pre made one that will fit.

Sorry, I'm not smart enough to find links to the existing threads on here that tell you what they did

My klarstein fullhorn (not an all in one, just the boiler) came with a perforated disk that sits in the bottom for mashing.
It holds the biab just above the level of the tap. I can the recirculate/sparge with a jug from the tap.
I think others on here have made similar or purchased them, but you would need to check the dimensions of your boiler to see if there is a pre made one that will fit.

Sorry, I'm not smart enough to find links to the existing threads on here that tell you what they did

Well I did go initially buy a grain screen but unfortunately it was too wide for the burco. So I have pretty much relegated that boiler to just for sparge water. And until now, I've not been able to biab at all because I simply didn't have the means to buy something without having to worry about the cut outs. I did think about using a similar tool as mentioned by GeorgieIV. I have a stand like that that's currently in use on my air fryer. If that is the case, then perhaps I could use that instead. Then apply some tubing with a jerry tag to recirculate the wort. And save me a tonne of money.

However, Ankou did reply to a previous post I made on this subject and to me it is good advice ie I would be better off with a stockpot.

However, any links to what you described would be much appreciated =)

+1 for the Klarstein Maischfest. I've done about 5 brews in it now, and not one cut out.

There's another recent thread about these systems, where the poster was thinking about the Digiboil vs the Maischfest. Have a look on there too for advice.

Latest posts

Back