Storing beer once fermentation is complete

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have a brew fridge so can brew all year round, but I've just put my latest brew (Mangrove Jacks Mango Pale Ale) into the garden shed in PET bottles having finished secondary fermentation. The shed gets the sun on its roof for 3/4 hours in the morning, but obviously there's no direct sun on the bottles. Given it's 30ºC out there again today, is this the wrong way to store beer when it's conditioning? To be honest, I'm not sure where else I could put it, but I wonder if the heat could have an effect on the final beer? I'd always put the bottles in the fridge for a day or two before drinking, but would I be better off switching the brew fridge to a lower temperature and keeping them in there until the weather cools?

Heat will damage beer. Oxidation reactions happen faster at warmer temperatures, and I have a feeling that above a certain temperature other reactions and breakdowns occur. Cooler is always better.

However, like you, a lot of us don't have many options. I store mine in the garage, which is the coolest place all year. On a day like today, with both doors closed I guess it's probably 18/19 whilst it's been 25 outside. It heats up faster if I'm in there and the doors are open. That's the best I can do. Because I don't have a million bottles, I tend to drink them relatively quickly. Very few make it past the 9 or 12 month mark. I've not noticed much difference over that time period though.

Just be thankful we have a relatively cool climate. A lot of American breweries have to take special precautions to keep their bottled beer cool to keep it fresh.

If your shed/garage floor is concrete or directly on to the ground - ie not on a wooden floor raised off the ground - then place the bottles directly on the floor and cover with an insulated blanket or old sleeping bag.
Ground temp will be fairly static if not in direct sunlight and if you cover it then it will really maintain a much more sensible and stable temp.

I live in Australia. I keep my beer in the garage / shed.
It gets hot in there. Very hot.

I've never had any problems storing beer.
I have brew fridges. I find once it's fermented at the correct temperature it's fine.
I'm currently drinking a stout that has been through 5 summers in the garage.
It's bloody lovely.

At the moment it's cold. Yeah ha, ha.... cold in Australia.
Down to 3C at night. This time of year I bottle my beer and put it back in the fridge for
second fermentation. After that it's in the beer cupboard to drink whenever.

I honestly don't think I've had beer go off due to the heat.

I love those Mangrove Jacks kits. Haven't had a bad one yet.

I live in Australia. I keep my beer in the garage / shed.
It gets hot in there. Very hot.

I've never had any problems storing beer.
I have brew fridges. I find once it's fermented at the correct temperature it's fine.
I'm currently drinking a stout that has been through 5 summers in the garage.
It's bloody lovely.

At the moment it's cold. Yeah ha, ha.... cold in Australia.
Down to 3C at night. This time of year I bottle my beer and put it back in the fridge for
second fermentation. After that it's in the beer cupboard to drink whenever.

I honestly don't think I've had beer go off due to the heat.

I love those Mangrove Jacks kits. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Thank you - you just made my day as I can now stop worrying about all the beer in my shed!

Back