Storing bottled beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used iodophor for a lot of years for sanitizing. In 2018 I switched to OneStep. Never a problem with either.

Few days before bottling I give all my bottles a 20 minutes soak in OneStep. Even bottles I've rinsed well after pouring seem to have some residue in them. I rinse immediately after pouring too.

I soak a bottle then pour that solution into another bottle and so on. After passing through a few bottles the OneStep solution has a light tan tint to it. This is when I dump it and start with fresh. Racking cane, tubing, bottle filler all get a twenty minute soak before bottling. I take the filler apart to make sure the valve is clean.

Yep I had one bottle bomb thankfully it was in a crate and contained it I reckon I double primed by mistake

I had one bottle bomb in the house.
I always keep all my bottles out in the shed, in crates.
I had some pals round and lined some bottles up on a shelf in the room where we were all sat.
I had a few 330ml bottles of Rhubarb sparkling wine, had intended tham as a bit of a late treat. One of these blew up, sent shards of glass flying.
ended up with a small flesh wound to one person, actual chunch of bottle stuck in the plaster in the ceiling and one person almost total loss of hearing for a week.
I do know there was too big an air gap in that bottle. Always fill right to the top now. I treat home brew with a bit more caution.

So it's best to fill up as much as you can? I'm pretty new at this and just bottled my 5th batch. My 4th batch was really flat and gross. I think it got oxygenated. So this time I made sure to add more sugar and fill up more than I had previously but I was worried that without more headspace there would be more pressure generated. Am I thinking about this backwards?

Hi ColinG, the less head space the less volume of pressurised gas there is to propel bits of glass .
if the contents are mostly liquid then if the glass breaks you just get froth as the gas bubbles out of the liquid.
In my case I had around a third of a bottle of compressed gas and two thirds fairly inert liquid.
I havent expressed this in accurate scientific terms. but the basics your cannot compress a liquid but you can compress gas.

Thanks! I think i understand. More headspace = more likelihood of a bottle bomb?

Thanks! I think i understand. More headspace = more likelihood of a bottle bomb?
Yep sometimes I have a half bottle after bottling if I leave it too long it's highly carbed I normally use for a sample early

Latest posts

Back