Storing crushed grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a bot of searching on this, but most of the posts /replies were about storing uncrushed grains, so here goes. The two LHBS I can use carry a fairly limited range of grain, so need to make up an online order for my next brew. Geterbrewed and Malt Miller both look good, but it would make sense to order a few brews worth at a time to save on postage. I'm thinking of ordering 4 brews worth of crushed grain, which would take me 8 - 10 weeks to use up. Will it be OK for this long stored in tupperware type containers (for opened bags) or in their original bags (for unopened ones, obviously)? They would then be stored in a dry cupboard in the kitchen.

When I buy malts I date the bags. My thinking is I'm happy to keep crushed malt for 12 months (like breakfast cereal). Keep them stored in an air tight container and in a cool place.

Eight to ten weeks is fine. I buy 25kg sacks from malt miller, which take four or more months to use up and I've never noticed any deterioration. I weigh the 25kg into well-sealed 3kg ziplock bags.

I buy 25Kg sacks of Muntons Crushed grains from a local brewery, the label Muntons put on them have a 12 month best before date on them.

I used to buy loads of crushed grain and vacuum seal the plastic bags once I'd open them. This kept them fresh a long time. I now by uncrushed grain and mill it myself, but still have a few small bags of crushed grain left. I opened some the other day and they still smelt and tasted quite fresh. My efficiency didn't seem to suffer either (although these grains probably made up <=20% of the grain bill). Large amounts I used to store in sealable buckets and it was fine for 8-10 weeks.

Whilst I wouldn't consider it an essential bit of homebrew kit, a grain mill has improved my brews. There are other factors to focus on which will yield a better beer, but at some point it will be worth looking into.

Mine stays in the sack it comes in, resealed every time I take some out, with the heavy duty reusuable cable tie that the HBC thoughtfully provide. Doesn't do any harm... I can't tell any difference in quality whether it's the first or last brew from the sack.

I used to grind my own coffee to get that hipster coffee feel, but it was a faff. Milling grain was a faff at first, but once I figured out how to use my drill with the mill, and also once I got the spacing right, my brews have been noticeably better and my efficiency has gone up slightly.

Long term, I can see how a mill is the answer, but I just don't want to spend any more dosh at the moment, having just splurged on an AG setup.

Good to hear that milled grain will be ok for a couple of months; I might order 5 brews worth just to maximise the postage savings.

Humidity is the greatest source of deterioration of grain (crushed or whole) so I store all my grain in sealed boxes with an el-cheapo (£1 each) unscented dehumidifier inside.

This includes the Malt Mill as per the photograph.

Mill with dehumidifier.jpg

It definitely works! After a few months away, I've had to clean mould off the outside of the FV but never from the inside.

BTW the unscented dehumidifiers generally have a pink coloured top whereas the unscented ones have a blue coloured top. :gulp:

Humidity is the greatest source of deterioration of grain (crushed or whole) so I store all my grain in sealed boxes with an el-cheapo (£1 each) unscented dehumidifier inside.
Nice one, Dutto. I've got a couple of the Pingi reusable car dehumidifiers hanging about since they became worth more than the car. I'll throw them in the vacuum bags, too, next time.

Back