Storing empty bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry Bloomfield

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice in regards to how to process beer and wine bottles once emptied?

At the moment, I'm giving them a thorough rinse out, then leaving them to dry before refitting the screw caps. The Coopers pet bottles dry out fairly quickly, but the glass wine bottle take many days. Might I be better just rinsing thoroughly, then just adding a few drops of diluted Chemsan and sealing immediately with the Chemsan inside?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice in regards to how to process beer and wine bottles once emptied?

At the moment, I'm giving them a thorough rinse out, then leaving them to dry before refitting the screw caps. The Coopers pet bottles dry out fairly quickly, but the glass wine bottle take many days. Might I be better just rinsing thoroughly, then just adding a few drops of diluted Chemsan and sealing immediately with the Chemsan inside?
I make sure bottles are basically clean rinsed and free of any trace of beer before they are put away. PET bottle caps are just cracked open to allow for changes in temperature (cold will suck in a sealed bottle). I dont bother draining. Thats it. . But at bottling time go through the thorough cleaning and sanitising cycle. Cant see the point of doing it twice.

Personally i give a good rinse after use and when i have a collection of 10 or so bottles, i mix up a solution of VWP in a spare fermenter and give a good soak and good rinse then drain them on my bottle tree. Once dry I’ll put them in boxes and store, then use a starsan solution prior to bottling my brew on the day. I find cardboard boxes are great for keeping them clean and tidy out of the way. I only use glass bottles these days

Latest posts

Back