Storing kit pouches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noshadow

Reaction score
I have a Mangrove Jack's pouch that comes with hops and yeast inside but I'm not planning on brewing it for a couple of weeks. The pouch says just to store it in a cool dry place and out of sunlight, but wouldn't it be best to keep the hops and yeast in the fridge? Would it be an issue storing the whole pouch in a fridge until it gets used? How do you guys generally store kits before use?

I know I'm probably over thinking it for the sake of a couple of weeks but it would be nice to know for any other kits I buy in the future.

Don't open it until you are ready to brew!! When you cut the pouch open it opens the pouch with the hops and yeast AND the pouch with the extract and you can't reseal either pouch! If you are going to brew in a couple of weeks, just keep it all somewhere cool and dry.

Don't open it until you are ready to brew!! When you cut the pouch open it opens the pouch with the hops and yeast AND the pouch with the extract and you can't reseal either pouch! If you are going to brew in a couple of weeks, just keep it all somewhere cool and dry.

Yeah I definitely won't open it until I'm brewing, I brewed another one of their kits earlier this week so know they can't be resealed. It was more in terms of the kit as a whole, especially if I buy some in the future that won't get brewed for a month or two.

Lallemand recommend storing yeast <4°c

Hops once opened, put them in the freezer, until then just cool dry cupboard.

Let me add that I had in stock a Helles Lager and a Simcoe IPA kit (both MJ pouches) and they were in temps of 20°C plus for a few weeks, I made them both up yesterday and they're blibbing away nicely as I type this.

I don't know if these kits are actually imported from New Zealand where Mangrove Jacks are based or they're made under license in the UK so lets assume the latter for the sake of argument. So somewhere the kits get made, then they probably sit in an ambient warehouse somewhere for a few weeks / months, then they're sold to a home brew shop so transported in a non-temperature controlled lorry to them, then it might sit in the home brew shop's ambient warehouse or shop shelves for a few more weeks / months before it's sold to you. Then it goes through several more distribution centres, lorry trips and finally gets loaded into the couriers van to be deposited at your front door.

Not sure another few weeks sat in a cool cupboard or wherever is going to make much difference to it before you brew it given all the places it has been up to that point!

Back