Storm Callum.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quite warm here, sitting next to an open window. Just put washing out and it's clouding overaunsure.....

I've been saying "roll on October" for many months and now it's here, it's delivered the goods... chucking it down, windy and cold - fantastic and a million-fold improvement on the relentless misery and woe of summer just gone. Can relax now for 6 months.

We were forecast thunderstorms for 3 hours this morning that looked set to arrive during my brewday right when I'd have the door open to let the steam out. Thankfully the BBC were as accurate as usual and we got nothing of the sort, just a little light drizzle and grey skies.

@Gunge you old curmudgeon!

A third person has died in what has been dubbed “the worse flooding for 30 years” by locals in Cwmduad in Carmarthenshire, who were left without power after rivers burst their banks.

The victim is yet to be identified, but follows the deaths of another person in Penarth Marina and another in Brighton, who have all been killed by the monster storm.

Areas of Wales, which has bore the brunt of torrential rain and wind, are ready to be evacuated, police confirmed.

Storm Callum continued its path of destruction yesterday causing travel misery and flooding as the UK continued to be battered by torrential downpours the warmest October day in seven years.

The west of Britain was heaviest hit by the rains, with parts of south-Wales worst affected as rivers burst their banks and homes were left without power.

Parts of the south and east escaped completely with dry conditions and temperatures in the mid-20s, with Donna Nook in Lincolnshire reaching 26.5C, making it the warmest October day in seven years, the Met Office said.

Rail services were plagued by delays, with severe weather affecting services between Preston and Scotland, across the whole of Wales, and in South West England.

A landslip stopped all Virgin trains running between Preston and Carlisle with the company posting images of half-submerged tracks, and advising customers not to travel on the route.

Read full article - https://www.express.co.uk/news/weat...oding-latest-updates-wales-met-office-warning

It was an incredible ( for Oct ) 23°C here yesterday. Now it's like being in Greenland. Splendid! Looking forward to winter now and hopefully being buried in snow.

It was complete hell up here, 65mph + Eeeeek!
My wheel barrow go totally blown over and a seriously empty 30l keykeg badly scared our cats in the garden,,,,,,,

Phew, we were lucky to have survived,,, mainly due to my brews protecting us with good hydration while we actually had to turn the f**king choons up to drown oot the stormy competition,,,

Life on the edge eh?

It was pretty bad in Ayrshire too. Several times a gust of wind caused our letter box to open and close again, making us think someone was at the door. Unable to take any more, I taped the letter box down with insulation tape. It has worked. For now.

F### you Callum.

Not surprised you were scared Gunge with that biblical weather!
The washing was flapping furiously on the line here and at one point leaves fell off the tree...

Just normal autumn fayre really. In fact the autumnal rain and gales etc were certainly worse and more frequent in my youth than they are nowadays. But they've started giving run-of-the-mill Atlantic systems names now. It's all part of the ploy to fool the younger ones that they are out of the norm and warrant hurricane-like status so give them a name. Ye - the great global warming scam continues apace. I know, I can't help myself.

Have been tracking the forecasts for a week or so. Like you say, it can all change in a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back