Stout and adding Fruit

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by itry, Oct 11, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2019 #1

itry

itry

itry

I have attempted to make Cherry Stout before. I did the first fermentation then racked off in to a new container with Cherry concentrate(from cocktails) when it came round to drinking it didnt have any cherry flavour at all. more marmite. I love marmite so it was acctually really good. and i tried again with letting it sit on fresh cherrys again, again marmite. Is it that the secondary ferment is killing the taste?

2. Oct 11, 2019 #2

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

No it is not so much the secondary ferment as the dark malts, I suggest. Plus, the flavours do fade over time and anything other than Morello Cherry will be long gone at the 3 months or so that a stout benefits from.

As far as fruit to stout goes, this is the fag end of elderberry season and there used to be a user on here Grays Alchemy, who made an Elderberry velvet stout for the festive season. Lots of tannin in elderberries, so it sort of fits with a stout.

3. Oct 12, 2019 #3

itry

itry

itry

Thanks for the advise. I was trying to make black forrest stout. Ill have a rethink then. I also made vanilla stout from the same batch(before the cherrys were added) and wow!! Thats going to be an annual thing. It came out amazing!

4. Oct 12, 2019 #4

Slid

Slid

Slid

Forum Friend Moderator

Vanilla in a dark beer is fairly popular, so it should work well.

Only time I tried it was along the lines of the GH Vanilla Bourbon Stout pitched 14 Oct 2017. There may still be a bottle somewhere in the garage, but however long ago I last tried one, the "whoooosh" from the whisky still just killed it.

5. Oct 13, 2019 #5

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

I have used the frozen mixed winter berry mix from Aldi just rack the beer onto the fruit after the first high fermentation has slowed ( a bag would be ideal to help and remove all the fine bits as they break down. From memory I think I used 3 kilo's and left in for 5 to 7 days then crashed for 2 or so days