Stout - best yeast to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamale

Reaction score
Hi all

I've today received through the post (Amazon) a ritchies Simply Export Stout 40 pint beer kit. However, the sachet of yeast that should be included (stuck to the bottom of the pouch) is missing from the kit.

I will be looking to buy some yeast from Amazon as there isn't a homebrew shop nearby.

Can anyone advise on the best yeast to buy for this kit?

Many thanks

Adamale

If you have a Wilko nearby you could get the Wilko (Gervin) ale yeast which is cheap and reliable and fine for stouts. Amazon do plenty of yeasts, as do ebay, but it works out a little pricey because of postage. Stout can use pretty much any decent ale yeast, although I'd avoid belgian ale yeasts.
You can get Gervin here for a decent price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DSCPNB8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Safale S-04 is popular too, just not a big fan of it myself, it can be found on Amazon for fairly cheap too.

Thank you guys for the advice. I'll get down to Wilko for some of that yeast - many thanks.

Kind regards

Adamale

Safale S-04 is popular too, just not a big fan of it myself
Hey Joel, can I ask why you're not a fan of S-04? Planning my first Porter brew shortly and intend on using this yeast for the first time. Cheers!

Well I like everything about S-04 except the taste! Something in it disagrees with my taste buds and it comes across dry, bland and a bit tart (kinda like unsweetened yoghurt), even if the FG tells me there should be residual sweetness. This is the only yeast I get this with, I see some people posting on forums that they say it finishes too sweet, so maybe it's just me! It ferments and flocculates really well though which is a plus for bottling and plenty of others use it and like it. I've used heaps of different dried yeasts, my current favourites are Liberty Bell for hoppier styles and sometimes Empire ale for sweeter ales. Notty/Gervin is still my fave dry yeast for stouts.

04 finishes higher and sweeter in my brews. Notty is my go to for stouts.
Windsor is another good stout yeast but like 04 yields a sweeter brew than notty tho it does give a nice flavor.

Latest posts

Back