Stout - couple of basic questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Gents,

am doing a stout which is a combination of several receipes ive found and there are a couple of questions i've got. The receipe is:

4kg pale ale malt
450g roast barley
450g flaked torrified barley
200g crushed choc malt
200g medium crystal malt

East Kent Goldings 50g - intial and halfway through
Safe Ale 04 yeast

Question is whats the difference between using flaked barley and flaked torrified barley as ive got the the torrified stuff? ALso do I have to prepare the torrifed barley?

Also several sources are saying steep the roasted barley, choc malt and crystal; can i put them in the mash with everything else at the beginning or do they need to be added at mashout which I do at 77 degress for 10-20 minutes.

As ever thanks for the assistance in advance

Kimosabby

I'd use one or the other...but off my head I don't know what that would give. I use flaked myself. As for the rest I bung the lot in the mash. As for the hops...just work out your required IBU and do it on the first addition...
My stouts are most acceptable!

I'd use one or the other...but off my head I don't know what that would give. I use flaked myself. As for the rest I bung the lot in the mash. As for the hops...just work out your required IBU and do it on the first addition...
My stouts are most acceptable!

thanks for that Clint; have you ever used flaked oats/flaked torrifed oats in a stout? Wondering what additional taste/feel that will give

thanks for that Clint; have you ever used flaked oats/flaked torrifed oats in a stout? Wondering what additional taste/feel that will give

I’ve used oats in a couple of stouts. As @Clint said with pale ale, it gives a silky creamy mouthfeel. I preferred the stouts with oats to the ones without.

have you got to cook/prepair them or can they go straight into the mash? Ive got flaked torrifed oats

As regards using oats in a stout, it's all down to personally preference. You should try one with and without and decide yourself 😉

Gents,

am doing a stout which is a combination of several receipes ive found and there are a couple of questions i've got. The receipe is:

4kg pale ale malt
450g roast barley
450g flaked torrified barley
200g crushed choc malt
200g medium crystal malt

East Kent Goldings 50g - intial and halfway through
Safe Ale 04 yeast

Question is whats the difference between using flaked barley and flaked torrified barley as ive got the the torrified stuff? ALso do I have to prepare the torrifed barley?

Also several sources are saying steep the roasted barley, choc malt and crystal; can i put them in the mash with everything else at the beginning or do they need to be added at mashout which I do at 77 degress for 10-20 minutes.

As ever thanks for the assistance in advance

Kimosabby
I put my roast barley and crystal malt in the boiler, Last half hour, Also used malted oats in the mash.

Trying to understand the difference flaked torrified oats will give

Last edited:
All went into the mash with 20 min mash out at end yesterday. I was expecting 1040ish came in at 1057?

using the Grainfather I keep getting consistent results with efficiency above and beyond recipe figures.

Smelt the business have high expectations

Latest posts

Back