Stout Finished at 1.028?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a chocolate stout which has been in the fermenter for 18 days now. OG was 1.065, after 7 days SG was 1.030 and today it is 1.028. I am using the CML Beoir yeast and it's been at a steady 20 degrees C. The recipe included 200g lactose in the 16L batch and I was expecting a FG of around 1.022.

If it has finished at 1.028 does that seem okay or a bit high? It's only the second brew of this style I have tried so I would like to ask the opinion of those who are more experienced with it.

To cover all bases I have given it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast and raised the temperature to 22 degrees C and will take another sample in a few days. The sample tasted good and wasn't sweet at all btw.

Hi all, I have a chocolate stout which has been in the fermenter for 18 days now. OG was 1.065, after 7 days SG was 1.030 and today it is 1.028. I am using the CML Beoir yeast and it's been at a steady 20 degrees C. The recipe included 200g lactose in the 16L batch and I was expecting a FG of around 1.022.

If it has finished at 1.028 does that seem okay or a bit high? It's only the second brew of this style I have tried so I would like to ask the opinion of those who are more experienced with it.

To cover all bases I have given it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast and raised the temperature to 22 degrees C and will take another sample in a few days. The sample tasted good and wasn't sweet at all btw.

Mine was the same Chris. I did include lactose (500g), used melanoidin malt (5%), and mashed at 155F so I did expect it to finish high - actually what I wanted. I put 22 litres in the FV, started at 1066 and finished after 14 days at 1028.

1.018 is the highest I've bottled at, my 12.86% impy stout/quad finished at 1.010. if you're a few points of target reduce the priming sugar for bottling and test on a regular basis.

Should have finished @ 1.018 according to the attenuation of 73-75 I think. Just give a little more time like you said and see where its at then

Should have finished @ 1.018 according to the attenuation of 73-75 I think. Just give a little more time like you said and see where its at then
I was expecting it to finish at around 1.022 according to brewers friend with the lactose addition. I will give it a bit longer and see if anything changes

Just a quick update, I have given this another week after rousing the yeast and raising the temperature a couple of degrees and nothing has changed at all. So tonight I have bottled 32 pints of chocolate stout and I will look forward to seeing how it turns out. Thanks for all the responses.

Just a quick update, I have given this another week after rousing the yeast and raising the temperature a couple of degrees and nothing has changed at all. So tonight I have bottled 32 pints of chocolate stout and I will look forward to seeing how it turns out. Thanks for all the responses.

I expect it will be great Chris, mine finished at 1028 and it’s nice. If anything I may even add a touch more lactose - but I’ll wait until it’s conditioned before I make a final decision.

Latest posts

Back