Stout kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the the regular Coopers Stout recently. B2B still had the Morgan's LME cans on sales when I bought it, so I used a can of the dark roasted LME in with the Stout. Added 200g of steeped Choc malt and used 04 English ale yeast, brewed a little short to 21l. Brewed this up with Christmas in mind, but thought I'd have a cheeky sample tonight after 3 weeks in bottle. Wow! It really is good and I mean really good. Gonna take some willpower holding off on these until Christmas.

Did that last autumn, and it was very good indeed. I'd say the 500g of dextrose is right; I used 1kg and it might have made it a bit thin. Did take a little while after bottling for the body to develop. Only medium spraymalt in stock at the time, so went for that (500g). Your 1kg of extra dark should work a treat. Only my 4th brew, so was learning a lot. Cocoa taste not pronounced, but does come as it warms up in the glass.

Have fun with it. Please post a future update?

I used 1kg of brewing sugar with the Cooper's lager.
It was the stout and 1kg of extra dark malt extract I added 500g of sugar to 👍😁

Edit, sorry, just re read your post and I obviously misunderstood 😉

I've also ordered the mangrove jacks juicy IPA with 1.2kg of liquid light malt.
Looking forward to that 😊

Did that last autumn, and it was very good indeed. I'd say the 500g of dextrose is right; I used 1kg and it might have made it a bit thin. Did take a little while after bottling for the body to develop. Only medium spraymalt in stock at the time, so went for that (500g). Your 1kg of extra dark should work a treat. Only my 4th brew, so was learning a lot. Cocoa taste not pronounced, but does come as it warms up in the glass.

Bottled it last night and probably drank about 1ltr 🤣
Obviously flat and warmish but not bad. Hint of chocolate and I think treacle.
I can't really compare it not being a stout drinker but so far so good and I'll report back in a few weeks when it's carbed and matured ;)

I put a 1ltr bottle in the fridge before my last night shift on Tuesday.
Early days I know but I thought I'd have a little tipple on my first night off yesterday. 😉😁
I was very tired after only about 1.5 hours sleep 🙄
so around 6pm I drank the 1ltr of stout followed by a glass of home made red wine.
Then an early night.

It's very heavy, (ok it's a stout). And coupled with my tiredness, 1ltr was enough.
But I enjoyed it especially considering it's not matured. 👍

I will probably make another.
I was thinking of brewing the bulldog easter chocolate stout but having read some bad reviews on here I'll stick to the Wilko one 👍

IMG_20211027_173823823~2.jpg

Thanks for the updates, Nidger. Sounds (and looks) really decent. I have 2 (glass) bottles of my first batch left, a year old this week. Saving them until Xmas to drink with my dad (regular Guinness drinker) who I haven’t seen since Bad Stuff Happened. I noticed every aspect of it improved with age, so really looking forward to trying it after a year in glass. Will come back with review. Hope your brew continues to improve. All the best.

Back