Stout + Maple syrup for priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
Have just enjoyed a Lidl can of Stout and Maple syrup it has got me thinking. If I was to batch prime before bottling with Maple Syrup, equivalent to sugar as suggested by the Brewers Friend online calculator would some of the flavour and taste come through?
The plan is to try this with a Wilco chocolate stout kit, (sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section)

TIA Mike

I make a Canadian wheat beer and I add a bottle of maple syrup to last 10 minutes of the boil. You could add to your fermentation buckle with the boiling water. Use brown sugar to prime.

Maple syrup is notoriously difficult to impart flavour with. I'm not sure I would waste it on priming. I have heard it imparts a little flavour with this method but not much. And could be lost in a choc stout.

I also wouldn't add to the fv as this will bump up the abv and I don't think too much flavour will remain.

Adding to the boil is probably the best option but you will need to add quite a bit. Apparently pure maple sap is much better but good luck sourcing it.

You could add fenugreek powder towards the end of the boil as a bit of a cheat. I did this with a stout. It turned out "ok" but I would be reluctant to do it again. A mild curry flavour was noted by a friend.

Thanks everyone. As I am using a kit I don't have the option of a boil. By the sound of it I have nothing to loose but all to gain. Will try as it's fun to experiment 🍺

Latest posts

Back