Stout Recipe Feedback & Hop Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dave

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I'm putting together a new recipe for a Stout and have come a bit unstuck when it comes to the malt bill and hop choices. I'm aiming for a well-balanced beer that isn't too strong on the roasty flavours and at the moment I am not sure what hop to go with - torn between a European/British hop or an American variety. I was thinking of using Brewers Gold, but honestly, I'm open to ideas.

I'm trying to create a smooth, silky, slightly fuller bodied mouthfeel, hence the oats and wheat.

Could you take a look at the malt bill and let me know what you think, as well as some hop ideas? Thanks in advance!

ABV: 5.5%
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013
EBC: 120
IBU: 50
BU/GU: 0.90

Fermentables:
Maris Otter - 65%
Roast Barley (De-Husked) - 8%
Flaked Barley - 5%
Oats - 5%
Torrefied Wheat - 5%
Chocolate Malt - 4%
Black Malt - 3%
Extra Dark Crystal - 2.5%
Medium Crystal - 2.5%

Hops:
Brewers Gold - 60 mins - 80g (44.2 IBU)
Brewers Gold - 15 mins - 20g (5.5 IBU)

I've done a couple of stouts, recipes are in my brewdays thread here: (I'd probably start from page 3 or 4, not really made the effort to find the specific ones, sorry)

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/ukskydivers-brewdays.84762/
I was particularly happy with the milk stout and the oatmeal stout.

Between me and you, I have no idea about hops and I don't like hoppy beers which I why I like stouts, so in my experience, it doesn't really matter what hops you use. Generally below 30 IBUs and you're good. More experienced brewers will us why I'm taking ballhocks.

Cheers

I've done a couple of stouts, recipes are in my brewdays thread here: (I'd probably start from page 3 or 4, not really made the effort to find the specific ones, sorry)

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/ukskydivers-brewdays.84762/
I was particularly happy with the milk stout and the oatmeal stout.

Between me and you, I have no idea about hops and I don't like hoppy beers which I why I like stouts, so in my experience, it doesn't really matter what hops you use. Generally below 30 IBUs and you're good. More experienced brewers will us why I'm taking ballhocks.

Cheers

Many thanks @UKSkydiver I will give your posts a read.

Hi Brewers,

I'm putting together a new recipe for a Stout and have come a bit unstuck when it comes to the malt bill and hop choices. I'm aiming for a well-balanced beer that isn't too strong on the roasty flavours and at the moment I am not sure what hop to go with - torn between a European/British hop or an American variety. I was thinking of using Brewers Gold, but honestly, I'm open to ideas.

I'm trying to create a smooth, silky, slightly fuller bodied mouthfeel, hence the oats and wheat.

Could you take a look at the malt bill and let me know what you think, as well as some hop ideas? Thanks in advance!

ABV: 5.5%
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013
EBC: 120
IBU: 50
BU/GU: 0.90

Fermentables:
Maris Otter - 65%
Roast Barley (De-Husked) - 8%
Flaked Barley - 5%
Oats - 5%
Torrefied Wheat - 5%
Chocolate Malt - 4%
Black Malt - 3%
Extra Dark Crystal - 2.5%
Medium Crystal - 2.5%

Hops:
Brewers Gold - 60 mins - 80g (44.2 IBU)
Brewers Gold - 15 mins - 20g (5.5 IBU)
I would probably ditch the crystal malts and replace them with amber or brown malt. I would also ramp up your dark malts so they are at least 10% of the grain bill. As for hops, generally speaking it's the usual customers when it comes to stouts, EKG, fuggles etc. However I have made some good stouts with cascade and CTZ. Take a look at a recipe I posted called imperial brown stout by The Kernel brewery. Their head brewer was very open and forthcoming when it came to the recipe and advice.

I'd dink it. The only thing to be weary of is the 15% of the grist as dark malts, will add bitterness on top of the hops, although the de-husked roasted barley and a touch of sweetness from the crystal will temper it a little. Fine if you like bitter beers, but worth dialling the bittering hops back if you don't. Brewers gold should be nice, especially the Blackcurrant notes if you were to use more late on.

I'd dink it. The only thing to be weary of is the 15% of the grist as dark malts, will add bitterness on top of the hops, although the de-husked roasted barley and a touch of sweetness from the crystal will temper it a little. Fine if you like bitter beers, but worth dialling the bittering hops back if you don't. Brewers gold should be nice, especially the Blackcurrant notes if you were to use more late on.

Thanks for the reply. What would you look to reduce from the dark malts?

Back