Stoutvember

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gar

Reaction score
it's traditional in our house to drink stout during November. once the clocks go back, time for lovely stout.
so I made a batch in late august to be ready this weekend. chocolate vanilla, it's worked well in the past.
I open the first bottle, it wasn't a gusher, but quickly turned into a snow globe in the bottle. hmm, I tried it anyway, lots of stouty flavour, but overwhelmingly yeasty. a very muddy pint down the plug hole.
the next was the same. I bottled into screw tops so vented and resealed.
I checked the log book, bottled at sg 1016, I thought it a little high at the time but guessed I'd put a lot of crystal etc in, so would be ok.
I'm guessing that it hadn't finished fermenting. any advice / solutions?

As above PLUS you may like to try a quick "Open/Close" on the screw-tops to release some of the pressure either:
  • Before sticking them in the fridge. (If you can wait for the yeast to settle out again.) or
  • After sticking them in the fridge and letting them chill. (If you can leave them for another day or so to let any disturbed yeast settle out.)
Either way - put it down in your Diary as a "No-No" to bottle something before you are absolutely certain that it has stopped fermenting and that isn't just "stuck" or in need of a longer fermentation time.

after having a couple of bottles in the fridge, they went full gusher!
so the rest have been fully vented, very slowly. I put them in the garage and forgot about them 'till tonight.
they're in PET bottles, so I gave them a squeeze, not fully carbed, but I thought I'd give one a go.
I could see the yeast had settled into the usual sediment. A reasonable hiss when opened, and poured nice. good deep red at bottom of glass, lovely aroma.
initial taste was spot on, I'm really glad this was saved.
anyhow, as I get down the glass, the stout had an increasing "fizzy" feel/texture on the tongue, yet no real fizziness in the glass. any ideas?
cheers

anyhow, as I get down the glass, the stout had an increasing "fizzy" feel/texture on the tongue, yet no real fizziness in the glass. any ideas?
cheers

A "greasy" glass or one that was cleaned with detergent and then not fully rinsed will do this.

Alternatively, if the brew was "over cooled", maybe the CO2 only came out as it heated up, especially on the tongue.

Glad it came out okay!

Latest posts

Back