Strainers for 5 gallon all-grain

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by bmass96, Mar 13, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Mar 13, 2019 #1

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Hi chaps!

I have recently bought myself a new 20 litre electric kettle and I have up until now been using not-so-good bags to put the grains in when sparging, haven't had good experiences with it so far.

I want to get a metal strainer I can put in/above the kettle that'll be a better solution. Does anyone have any recommendations!?

Cheers!
    Ben.

2. Mar 14, 2019 #2

SteveH

SteveH

SteveH

Not quite what you're after, but I got a large colander from Wilco for 3 quid which made sparging through the bag much easier, I put the bag over a spare FV bucket in the colander and trickle water through, then when done pour it back into the kettle. Cheap and cheerful but does the job!

bmass96 likes this.
  3. Mar 14, 2019 #3

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Cheers Steve, I'll give this a go. The trouble was the bag didn't seem to let anything through it - may aswell have had a carrier bag or something haha

4. Mar 14, 2019 #4

Stephenj

Stephenj

Stephenj

Regular.

Not sure if i saw this on here or elsewhere, but I got inspired to make a grain basket type thing using a 15l FV, with holes drilled in bottom and a frying pan splash thingy for finer filter. I need to fit some feet on bottom so sits above bazooka. Not used yet but seems like will do the job a bit more easily compared to the bags, and cost 8 quid. Pics when I get the chance.

bmass96 likes this.
  5. Mar 15, 2019 #5

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Would be interested to see! Half tempted to try something similar myself to be fair...

6. Mar 15, 2019 #6

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

There are some big stainless grain baskets on Ebay. Paste this item number into the Ebay search box: 382687187487.