Strainers for 5 gallon all-grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Hi chaps!

I have recently bought myself a new 20 litre electric kettle and I have up until now been using not-so-good bags to put the grains in when sparging, haven't had good experiences with it so far.

I want to get a metal strainer I can put in/above the kettle that'll be a better solution. Does anyone have any recommendations!?

Cheers!
Ben.

Not quite what you're after, but I got a large colander from Wilco for 3 quid which made sparging through the bag much easier, I put the bag over a spare FV bucket in the colander and trickle water through, then when done pour it back into the kettle. Cheap and cheerful but does the job!

Not quite what you're after, but I got a large colander from Wilco for 3 quid which made sparging through the bag much easier, I put the bag over a spare FV bucket in the colander and trickle water through, then when done pour it back into the kettle. Cheap and cheerful but does the job!

Cheers Steve, I'll give this a go. The trouble was the bag didn't seem to let anything through it - may aswell have had a carrier bag or something haha

Not sure if i saw this on here or elsewhere, but I got inspired to make a grain basket type thing using a 15l FV, with holes drilled in bottom and a frying pan splash thingy for finer filter. I need to fit some feet on bottom so sits above bazooka. Not used yet but seems like will do the job a bit more easily compared to the bags, and cost 8 quid. Pics when I get the chance.

Not sure if i saw this on here or elsewhere, but I got inspired to make a grain basket type thing using a 15l FV, with holes drilled in bottom and a frying pan splash thingy for finer filter. I need to fit some feet on bottom so sits above bazooka. Not used yet but seems like will do the job a bit more easily compared to the bags, and cost 8 quid. Pics when I get the chance.

Would be interested to see! Half tempted to try something similar myself to be fair...

Hi chaps!

I have recently bought myself a new 20 litre electric kettle and I have up until now been using not-so-good bags to put the grains in when sparging, haven't had good experiences with it so far.

I want to get a metal strainer I can put in/above the kettle that'll be a better solution. Does anyone have any recommendations!?

Cheers!
Ben.
There are some big stainless grain baskets on Ebay. Paste this item number into the Ebay search box: 382687187487.

Back