strange deposits in homebrew, advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm ,
Bit of a puzzler , hopefully sterilizing everything in use when brewing , and later on @ bottling should obviate any future problems ,
Cheers
Edd

yeah..based on the advice here and my recollections of bottling the stuff I'm guessing the infection was caused at the bottling stage (didn't sanitize the bottle tree) . I left the sanitized bottles overnight to dry too so i'm betting that didn't help

You'd be unlucky to have mucked up all the bottles unless the infection was in your fv.
I actually forgot to sterilise my bottles once(40 of them, cleaned and rinsed but got distracted and completely failed to sterilise) and I only lost 3 bottles that tasted funny after 2 months conditioning time.

Just look into brewsafe, and see that it is Sodium Percarbonate, which is a very good cleaner, and although also a sanitizer, its efficiency is reputed to be diminished by organic matter. It is also the main ingredient in cheap laundry stain remover, which a large number of us appear to use as a cheaper alternative, for cleaning. I fully recommend getting some no rinse acid based sanitiser (starsan etc) to use after the Brewsafe, just before you bottle.

Physically clean, chemically clean and then sanitise, and you'll have few problems.

This stuff? If so its the same as BrewSafe and this stuff that is £3 for 2KG at B&M https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/wizz-oxi-ultra-plus-fabric-stain-remover-1kg-271948 They all contain Sodium Percarbonate.

81k3nR5KJjL._SX770_.jpg

Last edited:
right gotcha..sorry for all the questions. so are you making up a few litres of this stuff and dunking bottles in it ? or is it some kind of spray application ?

I use a bottle rinser like the one below, but a couple of squirts inside each bottle with a spray bottle, or adding some to the bottle and shaking, all work fine. A little goes a long way.

I've been meaning to get one of those. I'll take the plunge thanks for the advice. much appreciated

Latest posts

Back