Strange-steve's Homebrew Reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I have to say sorry to @stigman for going ahead and wrapping up the 2017 reviews prematurely. I forgot this was on its way to me, but I'll be sure to include this in next year's runners. Other than the fact that this is a NEIPA I know nothing about this, so let's get started...

Aroma
Damn this smells fantastic! Amazingly intense sweet, tropical fruit juice aroma, passion fruit, mango, pineapple, maybe a slight hint of alcohol. Really wonderful.

Appearance
Absolutely perfectly. Usually these have an ugly brown colour to them but this is a beautiful yellow orange colour, looks just like a glass of pineapple juice.

Flavour
Powerful fruity flavours, primarily grapefruit and pineapple with a lovely smooth mouthfeel, aided by the low carbonation level. There's a dry bitter finish lingering on the finish, but it's not harsh at all. There is quite an alcohol kick off this, I'm curious what the ABV is :hmm:

Overall Impression
This beer has the most intense hoppy aroma I've ever experienced in a home brew, it's amazing. You said this was bottled from a keg, I wonder if that's why it has kept such a powerful nose, and also why the colour hasn't darkened. This really is a juicy hop monster, and certainly one of the best NEIPAs I've ever had, it's fantastic! It is far better than any of my attempts, I have no idea how you got so much flavour and aroma into it. I know this is the first beer of the new year's reviews, but this'll take some beating! Thanks, for sending this mate :hat:

IitQUlL.jpg

@stigman look like a winner. A recipe or nudge in the general direction would be much appreciated. I’ve got a mini keg/mancan type set up just purchased and I really want to revisit the NEIPA now I can minimise oxidation and the brown sludge look!

First off thanks for the very kind words Steve I am rather chuffed with this one, it's the best thing I've brewed yet. It wasn't supposed to be a NEIPA really although I did go with a chloride rich water profile, this time I went with a small 5g bittering addition of Magnum @60. I took some inspiration from @projectbeer who did some digging to find a cloudwater DIPAv13 recipe.
That big hop Aroma didn't come cheap i did a two stage dry hop with Citra 200g @ high krausen and 300g @ fg for 5 days.
Recipe was.
7kg golden promise
910g malted oats
400g wheat malt
300g oat Hulls (my manifold isn't great I do this as standard)
350g dextrose

5g magnum@60
60g mosaic @ 80° steep 20mins
60g Citra @ 80° steep 20 mins
200 dry hop @ high krausen
300g dry hop at FG for 5 days
OG 23.5 L @1.076. FG 1.010 = 8.7%ABV

First I have to say sorry to @stigman for going ahead and wrapping up the 2017 reviews prematurely. I forgot this was on its way to me, but I'll be sure to include this in next year's runners. Other than the fact that this is a NEIPA I know nothing about this, so let's get started...

Aroma
Damn this smells fantastic! Amazingly intense sweet, tropical fruit juice aroma, passion fruit, mango, pineapple, maybe a slight hint of alcohol. Really wonderful.

Appearance
Absolutely perfectly. Usually these have an ugly brown colour to them but this is a beautiful yellow orange colour, looks just like a glass of pineapple juice.

Flavour
Powerful fruity flavours, primarily grapefruit and pineapple with a lovely smooth mouthfeel, aided by the low carbonation level. There's a dry bitter finish lingering on the finish, but it's not harsh at all. There is quite an alcohol kick off this, I'm curious what the ABV is :hmm:

Overall Impression
This beer has the most intense hoppy aroma I've ever experienced in a home brew, it's amazing. You said this was bottled from a keg, I wonder if that's why it has kept such a powerful nose, and also why the colour hasn't darkened. This really is a juicy hop monster, and certainly one of the best NEIPAs I've ever had, it's fantastic! It is far better than any of my attempts, I have no idea how you got so much flavour and aroma into it. I know this is the first beer of the new year's reviews, but this'll take some beating! Thanks, for sending this mate :hat:

IitQUlL.jpg
I’ll tell you what mate, whatever you work at, (g******e scientist probably 😉) you have a career in beer reviewing waiting on you (if there is such a thing)
I am sitting drinking a Campden Pale Ale and I just want to pour it down the sink, that sounds a beauty and top marks to the brewer 👍

First off thanks for the very kind words Steve I am rather chuffed with this one, it's the best thing I've brewed yet. It wasn't supposed to be a NEIPA really although I did go with a chloride rich water profile, this time I went with a small 5g bittering addition of Magnum @60. I took some inspiration from @projectbeer who did some digging to find a cloudwater DIPAv13 recipe.
That big hop Aroma didn't come cheap i did a two stage dry hop with Citra 200g @ high krausen and 300g @ fg for 5 days.
Recipe was.
7kg golden promise
910g malted oats
400g wheat malt
350g dextrose

5g magnum@60
7kg Golden Promise 😳😳😳
I may even be able to add some water into my 30l Burco

@Stigman yikes, a 500g dry hop?? So that's the price of big hop aroma; at least I know where I've been going wrong then!

@Stigman yikes, a 500g dry hop?? So that's the price of big hop aroma; at least I know where I've been going wrong then!

I suppose this is where the professionals pull ahead again, for us hb'ers we don't get the bulk pricing or have the professional kit/methods for maximum hop extraction. As an extract brewer that could be around £55 a batch and there'd be more beer lost to the hops.

Hat's off stigman for going for it :thumb:

Recipe was.
7kg golden promise
910g malted oats
400g wheat malt
350g dextrose

5g magnum@60
Sounds n looks a belter @stigma think that's on the 2018 list of todo's

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Recipe was.
7kg golden promise
910g malted oats
400g wheat malt
350g dextrose

5g magnum@60
That looks n sounds a belter @stigma think that's on the 2018 list of to do's
Do you reckon the golden promise adds more to the beer than Maris otter ?

To be honest pal there's that much hop going on in there. I reckon you could use any pale malt and wouldn't be able to tell.
Get it brewed mate it's a belter.

My neipa tasted and looked much better out of a mini keg compared to bottle

That’s the kiddy again isn’t it. No o2 exposure and it keeps its colour and doesn’t oxidise. This only confirms to me the importance of c02 flushing and being anal about o2 exposure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest pal there's that much hop going on in there. I reckon you could use any pale malt and wouldn't be able to tell.
Get it brewed mate it's a belter.
Cheers [emoji106][emoji482]

O2 is definitely the enemy with this style. I l fell asleep after a few too many one night and left some in a glass. 24hrs later and there was a definite darkening. I am kegging now so do did a little experiment bottled from keg flushed with co2, two weeks later no difference in colour.

DSC_0879.jpg

So, if i've got this right you travelled up the A38 and collected some rain water ??.........:lol:

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you were going to say it was good old US-05. :thumb:

If you only use dry yeast, lallemand now do a new england / east coast strain I'd give that a try

Latest posts

Back