Strange Wine SG behaviour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmnd

Reaction score
Hi. My daily SG readings are very strange. I have a heater set to20C or just above.
The wine is a Beverdale Rojo Tinto. There was no yeast in the kit when started it on 8th March. I didn't take SG on that day. 1st SG on 9th March

9th 1,070
10th 1.062
11th 1.068 Replacement yeast arived from supplier
12th 1.090

This is very strange. The wine had been stired properly on the 9th.

today 11th. I have turned up the heater but there is little activity on the surface now. Is fermentation nearly complete at 1.090?

I would say your first reading of 1.070 is probably correct and maybe the sugars are dropping out of suspension a bit over the next few days.

I would ask why you are taking a reading every day, especially before you have yeast in there?

1.090 is higher than your initial reading and unless you mean 1.009?

I would leave it alone for 2 weeks assuming you have action in your airlock

buddsy

I was taking readings every day before to see if it would drop a little naturaly or maybee the sugar which I had added had not disolved properly. Cant see anything wrong with taking readings. I have made wine before. As for 1.009 , It is definatly 1.090. If fermentation can only start when the yeast is entered that would imply it completly fermented in one day. I have stired and tested againand and again it is definatly 1.090. An increase from 1.070

It should drop by 10 a day at least. Will check later tonight and tomorrow. No signs of any activety on surface. Temperature 21c

Don't use an airlock. This is a 5G fermenting bin with a heater and a loosly fitting top. Can't get 5G demijohns.

Last edited:
Well if its gone up to 1.090 that does seem odd. What does the Beaverdale kit instruction say it should start at I cant remember?

You can get 5G Carboys. I ferment in a wine fermenter

151903617_924530118350755_6151127652783829079_n-jpg.41713

Then clear out in a 5G Carboy

img_20210307_211001-jpg.42781

I like being able to see how fermentation is going with the use of an airlock.

buddsy

What I do is use one similar to your first pic. I have a large 300W heater set to about 21c. Because of the lead I can't put the lid on properly. What do is have clean steralised cloths over the top, lid lies on that. I wrap it in it's tea cosey ( nice single douvet and a pillow on top to keep it comartably warm all over. Means that the heater harly comes on as the fermentation produces it's natural heat and the wine is the same temperature all over. With a heater it could be hotter near the eliment and yeast would not like that. This way it creates and regulates it's own heat.

Seems to work for me. The wine wrapped like a baby and left in the corner.

P.S. thought sitting around for 3 days without any yeast might have been a factor as I haven't had to do this before.
Documentation has it starting at 1.075 - 1.082. Never found wines to hit these figures before so add a bit more sugar. Dropping at about 15-18 a day should see it feermented out in 5 to 6 days.

Last edited:
I guess all you can do it check it in a few days to see if the gravity is falling. If it is all good if not might be worth considering a new pack of yeast.

Might be worth checking your hydrometer is in good order? I some times wonder how the bit of paper with the scale on inside doesnt move around as they dont appear to be fixed.

Good luck on a positive outcome though :-)

buddsy

It is not unknown for the paper scale to slip
Test it in water it should read 1.000 give the hydrometer a wee shake and test again if the reading is different get a fresh hydrometer.

Hi. I have checked the label and it's fine. My guess is that the 1kg of sugar I had added had not desolved properly. After a good stir it read 90c. Over last 3 days it has gone from 90 to 60 to 40 today. Looks like 90 was the true reading possibly a bit more but it is going down now. Todays reading was 40 at 22.5c

I would have thought though if the label had fallen then I would have seen lower readings. Anyway all looks good.

Don't know what this will taste like. I like full bodied spanish red. Low acidity. Can't find anything on any website for acidity and tanning for this one.
Any help on this please. I do make a 30 bottle kit but only drink it on sunday with a nice roast.

Rojo Tinto is very nice and fruity. My Mrs' favourite, that and the Nebiolo.
I wouldn't add sugar if I were you - simply make it up to about 20L instead of 23. This makes it stronger (about 12.5%) but also increases the flavour.

It'll be finished at 0.996. Don't keep testing it - every time you take the lid off you're risking infection. Normally it'll be done in 3 weeks.

Okay but can't take sugar out. I have never reached the sg figures on the sheet but with the added 1kg I have 1.090 which gives me a comfortable 11.8%
I thought this would be dry but if fruity means sweet then probably not ideal for dinner. I prefer dry with tannins so it refreshes the papat during a meal.

You can add extra grape tannin,Be carefull though it wont take much.
Fruity and dry are two different things.

If you cant get grape tannin a few cups of really strong black tea will substitute. You wont taste the tea but it will add tannin.

Glad it is turning out ok.

A couple of thoughts,

Documentation has it starting at 1.075 - 1.082. Never found wines to hit these figures before so add a bit more sugar.

It does say that range but that would be only 10-11%. Beaverdales always make up to about 1.090 for me without anything added.

From what you say, you always read low at the beginning. Have you calibrated the 23L mark on the fermenter?

If so, either those first three readings are incorrect or the mixing was insufficient.

You did say you kept mixing and checking at 1.090 so maybe it was the extra mixing.

I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Hi. Latest update on this wine. I let it ferment out but kept a close eye on it. Strangly it seemed to go into hyper drive and a large pink foam on the surface. The wine has fermented out with a reading of 996 for several days. I transfered most of it into another bin. I sealed it and gave it a good shake to remove any CO2. No stabaliser added yet.

But the fermentation has stopped. I can't get rid of the CO2 foam on the surface. This should indicate the wine now finished fermenting has lots of CO2. I wanted it to be fermented out completly and shaken before adding the stabaliser.

The stabaliser does not stop existing fermentation only to stop further fermentation, but if there is no fermentation and the reading is stable at 996, then should be able to degass it.

Technicaly if it has stopped fermenting then the stabeliser would not be needed whould it? I have in the past let it ferment out complely anyway before adding stabaliser anyway. Don't want frothy wine! Attached picture.

Just tasted it and it tastes okay for cloudy wine.

Attachments

• Wine.jpg
    Wine.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The bubbles might sit there for a few days, don't worry.

The instructions say degass 3 times a day for 3-4 days. I just leave it longer and don't bother.

But you have tasted it so you know if it has been degassed enough.

If there are no new bubbles, carry on following the instructions. If in any doubt, wait a while. You are only10 days into a 3-4 week wine kit.

Can't taste if it has been degassed just that it tastes ok for a cloudy wine. Should I add the stabaliser as normal and give a good shake? Hopfuly all the CO2 gas bubbles on the surface should disapear. Feel beter when no bubbles on surface and no sign of any CO2 beore bottoling.

Last edited:
What I find is very badly written instructions. (copy attached).

The Beaverdale instructions are very badly put together. For example, Add the stabiliser HOWEVER. Why follow this with a HOWEVER. - - - make absolutely sure the wine has completely stopped.

This implies do not add the stabiliser until completely stopped. Definatly a contradiction in the instructions.

Attachments

• Instructions.jpg
    Instructions.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 55
It's just repeating that it must be completely stopped. But you are right, it might have been better put.

Couldn't you tell if was fizzy or not?

No not fizzy but I check the bubbles on the surface. I was told to shake the wine very vigurasly to make sure no gas before continuing. I never shook the wine before. What I have had in the past is, I open a bottle of wine at dinner and half a bottle left, I put in a rubber bung (Pictured here). When I look at the bottle an hour later the bung has started to rise out of the bottle. Does this mean that their is excess gas still their or is it still fermenting after adding the stabaliser months ago.

It was my intention this time to make sure no gas bubbles after vigoras shakking then add stabaliser.

Attachments

• PlasticBung.jpg
    PlasticBung.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
If its not fizzy then no CO2. Most of it will have gone when you transferred it. It has passed your taste test anyway.

If no new bubbles, go ahead and add the stabiliser then wait. The bubbles will fade away over some days. Keep it sealed as much as possible, then after it starts to clear in a few days, proceed from step 9, adding the finings.

The stopper rising in the half empty bottle is probably because it compressed the air when you put the stopper in. Maybe warming a little too.

Latest posts

Back