Strawberry Abundance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dro

Reaction score
Hi, I have searched on the forum but couldn't find an answer. I have an abundance of strawberries, made loads of jam, eat them as much as we can but there will still be loads after giving them to friends and family. After quite a few wine and beer kits, somebody suggested strawberry wine. Does anyone have any ideas or a recipe? I would need to know what yeast to buy, would it be a wine or a cider? Thanks. Andy.

You could do both a wine and a cider if you have enough!
For the wine, I like to add loads of fruit so it actually tastes of fruit. Most recipes call for hot water poured over the fruit but I think that ruins it. Here is my suggestion (made variations of this, based on the recipe from Restell and Hebbs sparkling wine book. For 4.5L.
2.5kg strawberries
500g sugar
tsp yeast nutrient
tsp of pectolayse
2 tsp citric acid
Either fizzy wine yeast or country wine yeast. The super yeast stuff sometimes gets that homebrew wine flavour overpowering the wine so needs longer to mature...but works faster. Up to you.

Vary the sugar based on hydrometer readings to get the ABV you want once you have steeped the strawberries. The citric acid should be added to taste as well based on the sharpness/sweetness of the strawberries. I have found them quite sweet this year so going to go for more acid when I get round to making a batch.

Steep the strawberries in cold water with a campden tablet for 3-4 days, stirring twice a day. Freezing and thawing them helps get more juice out. you can whizz up or crush them but it will take longer to clear.
Strain and add all other ingredients then ferment to dryness. You can ferment on the pulp with strawberries too but I prefer to strain after 7 or so days because I get nervous about it. Not sure why as there is no reason why it should go wrong really!

Thats looks like a great way to do it. Will give it a try. Thanks a lot.

Hi, I have searched on the forum but couldn't find an answer. I have an abundance of strawberries, made loads of jam, eat them as much as we can but there will still be loads after giving them to friends and family. After quite a few wine and beer kits, somebody suggested strawberry wine. Does anyone have any ideas or a recipe? I would need to know what yeast to buy, would it be a wine or a cider? Thanks. Andy.
Check out Früli. Here's a starter: Fruli - Wikipedia

Latest posts

Back