Strawberry Wine 17/11/2018

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......... Not sure why, when your council tax pays for the supply of water, that they can get away with providing so many people with water they don't like, can't drink and don't like having to wash their socks in. ........

Down here our local Council (East Lindsey District Council) are unable to even tell us what the Water Rates were before it was privatised so Anglian Water are getting away with charging water rates that are about 300% above inflation!

Also, any profits that they make (literally millions of pounds per annum) are mainly used to swell the coffers of Australian and Canadian Pension Funds!

BTW, in the UK it's becoming almost traditional for the management of bigger firms to rob the Pension Funds of their workers; and all our Government does it to wring its hands, agree that it's a total disgrace and then do nothing about it!

Robert Maxwell (famous for stealing the Mirror Group Pension Fund) died back in 1991 and yet as recent as this year (27 years later) there have been similar frauds ...

... and we worry about the state of our brewing water?

Wine thief getting ready for testing the FG
IMG-20181130-WA0014.jpg

Racking off using an auto syphon into a clean demi john
IMG-20181130-WA0022.jpg

Degassing for 5 min
IMG-20181130-WA0026.jpg

Adding in the file few packets mainly the Strawberry Add Back
IMG-20181130-WA0029.jpg

On the wedge, Just need to add 1 more packet tomorrow night and then wait to clear
IMG-20181130-WA0024.jpeg

Great thread love the wedge, one thing I did notice you say degassed for 5 minutes i use the same method but only do it for a minute using the forward for 5 seconds reverse for 5 seconds method doing it for 5 minutes is more likely to add oxygen than remove more CO2. :thumba:

I have made the thread a sticky as it'll serve as a nice how to guide for any new members wanting to try kits. :thumba:

Great thread love the wedge, one thing I did notice you say degassed for 5 minutes i use the same method but only do it for a minute using the forward for 5 seconds reverse for 5 seconds method doing it for 5 minutes is more likely to add oxygen than remove more CO2. :thumba:
Was not 100% sure how long to do it for, so i did forward and reverse for around 5 min. Will bare that one in mind

I know some members do it longer and there is no right or wrong way but i know through experience the wine will clear perfectly after only a minutes degassing , give it a try next time and see if it works for you. wink...

I have never used a filter but have read they can strip out flavour and as the Solomon Grundy kits are at the low end of the price range you may want to avoid that risk, I have made their kits before and they cleared perfectly without filtering.

I have never used a filter but have read they can strip out flavour and as the Solomon Grundy kits are at the low end of the price range you may want to avoid that risk, I have made their kits before and they cleared perfectly without filtering.

I have not filtered yet, got a little busy but it is looking very clear. Does filtering really remove flavour?
You have put me in a position now, as im about to "filter" and bottle it hmmmmmmmmm

I have never filtered a wine but remember one member Tonyhibbet (i think it was him) posted about this a long time ago, i don't know anyone that filters their "kit" wines and the instructions don't tell you to do it so to be honest i wouldn't bother.

Ok so i have always filtered my wines so i decided to stay with what i have previously done.

2nd Racking after Fining and Clearing
IMG_20181209_165742.jpg

Then put through the Harris Filter
IMG_20181209_171409.jpg

IMG_20181209_171421.jpg

Then it was into the bottling bucket where i stirred in 160g of brewing sugar to sweeten and straight into the bottles
IMG_20181209_172530.jpg

IMG_20181209_172440.jpg

IMG_20181209_172459.jpg

Almost there just corking next, I let the corks soak in some Star San for a few min before corking
IMG_20181209_172914.jpg

IMG_20181209_172921.jpg

So here is the line up so far 5 Bottles in total - may have been trying the wine a little much during the process
IMG_20181209_173145.jpg

Last thing i want to do is Shrink Cap and Label the bottles, Which i will do during the week

So what date is correct to put on the bottle, bottling or pitching?

Oh and yes it tastes epic

Last edited:
Great thread.

I hate bottling especially 30 bottle kits so use screw top bottles and novotwist caps to speed it up.

[QUOTE =“ Dutto,帖子:789873,成员:15579”]
我住在格伦金迪(Glenkindie),那里的水从房子后面的山上直接流出,从海外或海外工作回来后,我要做的第一件事就是给自己倒一品脱水!

天哪,即使没有威士忌,它的味道也很美味!

在斯凯格内斯,这里的水是由安吉安水公司提供的,尽管水被氯化了,但每个专用冷水水龙头周围仍会形成黑色的粘液。我向Anglian Water检查了一下,他们告诉我说这是“正常”,但是我仍然在生产啤酒的生产线上安装了Jabsco滤水器。这是一套昂贵的工具包,但是由于水的味道不同于房子里的水,我不会以任何方式处理它。
[/引用]
good

I'm not sure why Inkbird have re-Posted this one but it's very timeous! (I translated it via www.Deepl.com which is one of the easiest translation sites I have come across.)

In October last year, I relocated from Skegness to Sleaford. It is still within the Anglian Water area but the water is so hard that they give people a warning. (SWMBO is using "Calgon" in the washing machine for the first time ever and the kettle furs up so that I have to clean it out every three months to keep the fine filter working!)

So far, I've used the much softer Spring Water from Lidl or Aldi and before having my brewing career cut short (I fell and fractured my femur back in April and I'm still in recovery!) I managed to produce some excellent brews using this water.

BTW, I'm still using the Inkbird to control Fermentation and Cold Crash!

Enjoy.

Christ, you are lucky! I am supplied by Thames Water and it is so hard and full of chlorine, that I have to clean my kettle out once a month, minimum. If not, I get crunchy limescale bits in my tea! I boil the kettle for the initial 6 pints of boiling water to mix my beer kit malt extract, and I have to be very careful that I don't end up adding bits of limescale to the wort!

Hence, I only use bottled water for my brews.....

Back