Strawberry WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
Over the years I have tried brewing a few strawberry wines and have always been disappointed with the final flavour :(
But after trying a couple of bottles of THIS Strawberry white Zinfandel kindly supplied by Wez I thought that I had found the ideal summer wine, unfortunately these kits are no longer available :(
So I have been experimenting ;)
The recipe below produces a 10% ish abv wine which is ideal for mixing with lemonade as a long summer drink :thumb:
It is based around the ubiquitous Wurzels Orange Wine and so I have called it Strawberry WOW :grin:

Strawberry WOW OG 1.075 FG 0.998 ABV 10%
For 5 litres

Ingredients
1 litre orange juice
1 litre white grape juice
500g + 50g white sugar
1tsp glycerine
pectin destroying enzyme
yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp wine tannin powder
GP wine yeast
Campden tablets
Pottasium sorbate (wine stabilising powder)
Natural Strawberry flavouring

Method
Dissolve the 500g of white sugar in 750ml of boiling water and allow to cool
Add the Orange and grape juices to a sanitised 5l demijohn
Add the yeast nutrient, tannin and glycerine to the demijohn and shake to dissolve
Add the sugar syrup and shake to mix
Check to see that the temperature of the must is below 30C, adjust with cold water if necessary.
Add the pectin destroying enzyme and swirl to mix
Add the GP wine yeast.
Once the initial vigorous fermentation is over top up the demijohn to 5l and allow to ferment out
After the fermentation is complete rack to another sanitised demijohn and add 1 crushed campden tablet and the potassium sorbate, place this somewhere cool and allow it to clear.
At this point, once clear I racked again and added the whole 38ml of Strawberry flavouring and 50g of sugar to slightly sweeten the wine.
I allow the wine to stand in bulk for a week before bottling to allow the flavours to fuse :thumb:

One on the go and a finished bottle
002-2.jpg

That's a lovely colour... is there any colour in the strawberry flavoring?

If that's as good as you make out mr Tubby She's off to buy the ingreidients this week!

:x I haven't even done a wurzels orange yet, was due to start it tomorrow, now you confuse me with strawberry,. When will it all end :? :)

muddydisco said:
If that's as good as you make out mr Tubby She's off to buy the ingreidients this week!
It has the approval of Mrs t_s and her friend :thumb:
I like it too :D

DSCF0018-1.jpg

There's my bottles of Strawberry wow on the left. Yes one is in the fridge!! and the one's one the right are orange wurzels with a hint of lemon :whistle:

Trouble is, you're adding fruit pulp to a finished and cleared wine, so it's not going to stay clear, and unless you know a decent pick-your-own fruit farm, most strawberries from supermarkets etc. don't actually taste of very much.

I meant to say to add the strawberries at the start of the ferment, I guess the flavour would come through quite well with fresh PYO? Another one to add to the ever increasing list.

No, that would be turning it more into a strawberry country wine and defeating the whole object of the Wurzel's base.

Besides which, IMO strawberry wine is a waste of time and quite expensive ingredients.

Come on somebody, there is a specific word for wines which retain the flavour of their main ingredient, what is it? Anyway, raspberries do, strawberries don't.

Latest posts

Back