Straws and earbuds to be banned.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yet another knee jerk reaction apparently the fibres that come out of our clothes when we wash them are far more harmful when they end up in the sea are they going to ban certain materials next?

One fifth of the micro plastic in the sea comes from car tyres!

Now friends of the earth are wanting us to try plastic free Fridays.:roll:

I think I prefer chippy tea Fridays. :laugh8:

Hi!
Since all of this news about plastics in the sea etc etc I have noticed just how much unnecessary plastic is used. I received some documents from an exam board in a plastic envelope. I opened the envelope to find the documents sealed in a clear plastic envelope. I understand about confidentiality and security when working for exam boards but, really! Two plastic covers, both of which went straight into the bin.
We are destroying our own environment. We are the only species that sh*ts where it eats!

I agree but instead of tackling the problem head on they are discussing straws and earbuds.

Hi!
As if banning straws and earbuds will solve the problem. Small minds, small ideas.
Anyway, one of the few pleasures left to me, now that old age is tapping on my shoulder, is a good old rake around with an ear poker :laugh8:

One fifth of the micro plastic in the sea comes from car tyres!

They've chosen an unnecessary source of microplastic. They can't very well ban car tyres.

It's not going to solve it on it's own, but it's all a about incremental steps, isn't it? It's an improvement. And you can't refuse improvement just because it's not an immediate, perfect solution.

My sister will be devastated, though. She can't have a vodka lemonade without a straw in it, and it's her favourite drink :laugh8:

My sister will be devastated, though. She can't have a vodka lemonade without a straw in it, and it's her favourite drink :laugh8:

They're not banning earbuds and straws - both items easily made from other materials.
They had drinking straws when I was a kid and they certainly weren't made of Bakelite.

They're not banning earbuds and straws - both items easily made from other materials.
They had drinking straws when I was a kid and they certainly weren't made of Bakelite.

I recommend brake pipe. Naturally antibacterial, flexible and will last forever. Then the enviro ***kwits can hassle something else, like cocktail sticks or summat.

I don't understand the objection to this. Why wouldn't we want to just make it normal that we use environmentally friendly materials whenever we can? They might be more expensive, but cellulose ones are still less than a penny each, and probably much cheaper in bulk. I don't know how much of my monthly outgoings goes on straws, but I'm pretty sure this will have absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.

I don't understand the objection to this. Why wouldn't we want to just make it normal that we use environmentally friendly materials whenever we can? They might be more expensive, but cellulose ones are still less than a penny each, and probably much cheaper in bulk. I don't know how much of my monthly outgoings goes on straws, but I'm pretty sure this will have absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.

Straws must count for nuthin compared to plastic knives and forks that fast-food places churn out, polystyrene cups and trays etc etc. It's all cobblers. Ban everything and have done with it. Then we can start over.

I’ve spent all morning thinking I was going to have to wear over-ear earphones, and I’ve just realised you are all talking about cotton buds!

Meh, I use my wort temperature probe for earwax mining.

Best thing of all for that is a metal Kirby hairgrip off the missus. Little blob of plastic on the pointy bits for safe prodding and poking, and the U-shaped bit is just right for hooking bits of hard wax and yanking 'em out. I can while away many hours with just a Kirby grip. Ain't called Gunge for nuthin'.

What we produce wastewise that doesn't get recycled is a drop in the ocean (pun intended) when you consider Mumbai in India produces 1200 tonnes of plastic waste per day. Now in India the plastics factories are complaining there will be a loss of around 500,000 jobs due to a ban on its use.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-43812805/what-happens-if-you-ban-plastic

The seas definitely need cleaning up.

I have heard them say plastic can be reused up to 10 times but how do they know how often it's been reused?

My only issue with paper straws is what happens to them 5 mins after my 2 and 4 year olds get a hold of them... *shudder*

Back