Straws and earbuds to be banned.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meat sold in plastic trays is a gripe of mine, I would be happy if it was just in a clear bag.

Agreed. I suppose it doesn't look as nice, which is probably why they don't do it.

My biggest gripe with supermarkets is the food waste. Tonnes of food thrown away because they think the public can't handle the sight of a misshapen carrot. I'm going to cut the damn thing up, who cares what shape it is?

Agreed. I suppose it doesn't look as nice, which is probably why they don't do it.

My biggest gripe with supermarkets is the food waste. Tonnes of food thrown away because they think the public can't handle the sight of a misshapen carrot. I'm going to cut the damn thing up, who cares what shape it is?

I heard a Morrisons advert on radio... they're on the case with their 'Wonky' range of fruit n veg. Ye it's ridiculous that natural produce has to meet certain shapes and sizes. Blame the EU for that master stroke. Roll on Brexit lol.

SWMBO was buying a cauliflower the other day and noticed the wonky alternative and it was half price, you don't eat them whole so what does it matter if its wonky.

I love that Morrison's are selling the wonky veg. I already rated them pretty highly, they've gone up further in my estimation.

Best thing of all for that is a metal Kirby hairgrip off the missus. Little blob of plastic on the pointy bits for safe prodding and poking, and the U-shaped bit is just right for hooking bits of hard wax and yanking 'em out. I can while away many hours with just a Kirby grip. Ain't called Gunge for nuthin'.

She knows you use them for that, right?

Ye it's ridiculous that natural produce has to meet certain shapes and sizes. Blame the EU for that master stroke. Roll on Brexit lol.
You could always buy 'wonky veg' all around europe (normally in markets, especially France).
This was never an EU directive.
Was just customer demand in supermarkets that drove this.

Yuhp. Italy, Spain, and France have no truck with this nonsense of selling only the perfect platonic ideal of a carrot and binning the rest. Their veg is wonky as my grandad's route home from the pub, and tastes twice as good as ours does.

Yup, nothing to do with EU at all, but the fact that people believe it, and there are lot more than just Gunge, is proof of how effective the Euroskeptic propaganda was.

The EU did indeed ban the sale of wonky veg; they had to repeal this however in about 2009 in order to not look even more silly than they normally do, because of the recession. At the time, of course, they said it was because of extraordinary times, blaa blaa blaa, but they never brought them back in post recession, because it was obvious how stupid it was and what an open goal for the likes of UKIP it was. I'm surprised the pro-EU members on here didn't know that, being big fans n all. ;)

They already have the poster girl for the campaign:

The EU did indeed ban the sale of wonky veg; they had to repeal this however in about 2009 in order to not look even more silly than they normally do, because of the recession. At the time, of course, they said it was because of extraordinary times, blaa blaa blaa, but they never brought them back in post recession, because it was obvious how stupid it was and what an open goal for the likes of UKIP it was. I'm surprised the pro-EU members on here didn't know that, being big fans n all. ;)
Thats what I thought, but there are still rules on cucumbers having to be straight and some of these EU laws were UK laws that the EU adopted though i'm not sure which and could be wrong about all of this.

The liberated produce (:laugh8:) was ;

Restrictions on shape and size repealed without qualification - apricots, artichokes, asparagus, aubergines, avocados, beans, Brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, cherries, courgettes, cucumbers, cultivated mushrooms, garlic, hazelnuts in shell, headed cabbage, leeks, melons, onions, peas, plums, ribbed celery, spinach, walnuts in shell, water melons, and witloof/chicory.

Restrictions lifted subject to labeling to distinguish them from "class 1" produce - apples, citrus fruit, kiwi fruit, lettuces, peaches/nectarines, pears, strawberries, sweet peppers, table grapes and tomatoes.

Thats what I thought, but there are still rules on cucumbers having to be straight and some of these EU laws were UK laws that the EU adopted though i'm not sure which and could be wrong about all of this.

Not sure about that. The Tesco near me were selling 'misshapen' cucumbers a few months back. I bought them regularly, all skinny and curly. I actually reckon they taste better, more flavour than the big watery ones. Wish they'd bring them back.

jjsh is right, they certainly tried to introduce rules on the appearance of fruit and veg. Brexiteers aren't completely wrong, the EU had some daft laws.

Still, anyone who's set foot in any of the three countries I mentioned earlier knows they didn't pay the blindest bit of attention, so I'm not sure why we did or why we, for the most part, continue to do so.

jjsh is right

Well, obvs!*

* Our eldest (11) says it is highly embarrassing when I use such terminology, me being all old and stuff, so I now consider it my duty to use it whenever possible when addressing anyone under the age of 35 in order to cause maximum annoyance . Innit?

Local ASDA had the wonky veg....fabulously priced up at the same rates as the unwonky stuff...dick heads!
Later on today I'm going to explain to Mrs Clint that plastic is being banned and we should do something to help the seahorses and stuff...I'm starting by ordering a nice shiny fv vessel and my nasty plastic wilko fv will be chucked into our local river...

The EU did indeed ban the sale of wonky veg;

I KNEW it wasn't my imagination - cucumbers having to have a curve adhering to strict parameters etc. Bored housewives liked that one, but that's about it. Hey Clint, chuck your old FV over my fence. Owt for nowt, in with the 'barrow.

You could always buy 'wonky veg' all around europe (normally in markets, especially France).
This was never an EU directive.
Was just customer demand in supermarkets that drove this.

Actually it's not `customer demand' - it's just perfectly normal human browsing behaviour in a self service situation. If there's a tray of perfectly formed apples with a couple of misshapen ones guess which ones will be left in the bottom of the tray when it's empty? I know I always pick the best looking ones, and if I'm faced with a tray of manky looking ones I'll just go and buy something else instead.

No, they didn't ban wonky veg. The tabloids certainly said that they did, and a lot of people believe that they did. Jamie Oliver in particular got all wound up by it, but he too fell victim of the propaganda. There have always been restrictions for fruit and veg and each country had their own, and in order to make sure that producers from different member states could trade easily with each other, the EU introduced standards on an ad hoc basis so that producers could use these standards to classify their produce and then buyers could know that they conformed to a certain standard regardless of where they bought them from. Take a look at the law that applied to cucumbers (link here). Scroll to page 5 and you can see the minimum requirements, i.e. the things that were actually banned, are things like it not being rotten to the point of being unfit for human consumption, not being infested with pests, not contaminated. As you can see, wonky cucumbers were never banned. However if you look at the next section you can see that the top two classes, the premium grade stuff, did have specifications about curvature. What this means is that it would be illegal to sell the wonky cucumbers and label them as 'extra class' or 'class I'. This is very different from actually banning them. Nevertheless, something so mundane doesn't sell newspapers, so it was spun as a ban, it became "common knowledge" and people got upset over nothing. Even The Guardian was duped. Sainburys even exploited the Euroskeptic public mood and pulled off a publicity stunt saying that they would have sold wonky veg at 40% cheaper, but didn't because their store managers could be prosecuted, forgetting to mention that all they had to do was write "class II" on the label. We know that this was a stunt, because when supermarkets did start selling wonky veg, they sure as hell weren't 40% cheaper.

Later, the EU marketing regulations were unified into a single law (linky link), which makes it easier to debunk this lie, because you can scroll down to your veg of choice and easily see that the minimum requirements, as opposed to the specific class requirements, are all obvious things that were already in British law anyway. Not to mention that many of the requirements were actually lifted from British law, the British helped drafting these regulations, they were voted for by the British MEPs, and if Britain didn't like them then they could always have these laws changed in Brussels, which is exactly what happened when the regulations were lifted a decade ago. I think it is probably worth mentioning that if, in fact, the regulations were causing all this food wastage as the Euroskeptics would have you believe, then when they were lifted you would expect food wastage to go down. It didn't. I think that says it all.

Latest posts

Back