Streaming TV and film.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I recently signed up to the Netflix HD package at £9.99 i have read today they are putting it up to £11.99 next month i don't mind paying another £2 a month as so far i am loving it and have seen lots of stuff i plan to view in the future however being a tight old git i wondered what other members are using and what they think of the service they receive, content and pricing etc.
(only legal ones please)

How often do Netflix increase the monthly subscription?

I recently signed up to the Netflix HD package at £9.99 i have read today they are putting it up to £11.99 next month i don't mind paying another £2 a month as so far i am loving it and have seen lots of stuff i plan to view in the future however being a tight old git i wondered what other members are using and what they think of the service they receive, content and pricing etc.
(only legal ones please)

How often do Netflix increase the monthly subscription?
I think it's been a few years since they put it to 9.99
To be fair they content it getting better all the time so this small increase is justifiable. Unlike sky who increase each year. I believe Disney also put prices up. Timing isn't great as everyone enters lockdown

I think it's been a few years since they put it to 9.99
To be fair they content it getting better all the time so this small increase is justifiable. Unlike sky who increase each year. I believe Disney also put prices up. Timing isn't great as everyone enters lockdown

Thanks.

Being an old cynic i wonder if lockdown played a big part in the decision to do it now.

Price-wise they are all pretty much of a muchness and Netflix has by far the best content.
We have Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime (although the latter is for the free next day delivery the video streaming is a bonus).

I like the next day delivery as part of the package but we don't use Amazon that much so i guess Netflix greater content will be what makes us stay.

I've a freebie to use appletv for a year(some decent original content but not masses) but otherwise mostly all4, just use the advert breaks to get a beer. Onto season 5 of ER.

One for the Netflix users.

I have been trying to watch on PC and the red circle is spinning but nothing plays the previews play but i cannot watch the actual film i am sure it worked the day i signed up, i haven't tried watching on PC since day one as i have been using the TV instead but i am sure it worked fine on day one.

Previews are working fine but if i click play the next screen loads and the circle spins and nothing happens.

I am was using Edge chromium and have now tried Chrome and its working fine. :?:

Last edited:
Now tv is pretty decent. I generally juggle between Netflix and Amazon subscriptions. So if Netflix is getting boring I cancel for a few months and pay for prime for a few months, then when that gets dull I swap back over. That way I’m only ever paying for one subscription, my wee bro gave me access to his now tv and so that free for now.

Previews are working fine but if i click play the next screen loads and the circle spins and nothing happens.

I am was using Edge chromium and have now tried Chrome and its working fine. :?:
Anyone interested in Netflix can watch certain content streaming for free via the pc/Web format and for both Netflix and Disney for those that pay monthly, if you can pay the yearly subscription you'll forgo the hike rise this year if paid before the date which I read on the Martin Lewis blog.

Now tv is pretty decent. I generally juggle between Netflix and Amazon subscriptions. So if Netflix is getting boring I cancel for a few months and pay for prime for a few months, then when that gets dull I swap back over. That way I’m only ever paying for one subscription, my wee bro gave me access to his now tv and so that free for now.
We use Amazon a lot for stuff so cheaper to keep prime than pay for postage.

On about TV,films etc...
anyone got Sky Q?
I'm in desparate need of upgrading my viewing...whether it's getting rid of Sky or keeping it,getting Netflix or what...
I do like a film but it's usually on extended time off..don't do box sets as a habit..but if I do it's the same old..Bottom,Young Ones,Gavin and Stacey..I love documentaries.
Kids ask for Netflix... can they have it on their tellies without me paying extra?

On about TV,films etc...
anyone got Sky Q?
I'm in desparate need of upgrading my viewing...whether it's getting rid of Sky or keeping it,getting Netflix or what...
I do like a film but it's usually on extended time off..don't do box sets as a habit..but if I do it's the same old..Bottom,Young Ones,Gavin and Stacey..I love documentaries.
Kids ask for Netflix... can they have it on their tellies without me paying extra?
Now tv is SKY! You can use Netflix on a few different devices with same log in at same time.

I've had Sky Q since it came out. It used to be very buggy (they basically released a beta version in a race to get it out to the market). These days it works pretty well. The key thing to be aware of is the second and subsequent mini boxes operate over wifi rather than being hardwired to dish and so if they happen to be in a dead area / you have thick walls etc that can be a problem. That said the mini boxes now seem to work well over powerline ethernet. In fact I have mine on now in the brewcave which is down the garden from the house. Another gripe was when I used to have BT broadband downloading films etc used to take ages - I think SKY deliberately choke it when you are on another ISP. I switched broadband to sky and lo and behold downloads are lightning quick. Downright naughty that.

We use Amazon a lot for stuff so cheaper to keep prime than pay for postage.
Yeah I think if your paying for deliveries you can definitely save having prime. It’s a bit like Costco. If you get the Costco executive card you get 2% back on shopping. It adds up over the year to give you free membership. One year I got £80 and free membership back from the 2%.

On about TV,films etc...
anyone got Sky Q?

Sky Q is the dogs dangle's when we got it a few years back, via a phone call, the guy said I had been with them for so long my "package" was outdated and he offered me a new SkyQ package cheaper than I was paying.

Sky Q is the dogs dangle's when we got it a few years back, via a phone call, the guy said I had been with them for so long my "package" was outdated and he offered me a new SkyQ package cheaper than I was paying.
Yeah been with sky for a long time...I tried to order it online before Christmas and I got to checkout and it said they couldn't process...tried months earlier and it still wouldn't go through..I'll try ringing them again.

On about TV,films etc...
anyone got Sky Q?
I pay £11.99 for the full package and each one and I have 4 of which two have it on their television and the other two have it on their xbox, I have it on my laptop, phone and TV and I also put it on the inlaws television which is in the Irish Republic. That being said only 4 can view at anyone time which never happens as we have Disney and Prime as well as BTTV.

Yeah been with sky for a long time...I tried to order it online before Christmas and I got to checkout and it said they couldn't process...tried months earlier and it still wouldn't go through..I'll try ringing them again.
Ring them up and tell them you want to cancel and they may offer you a better deal and if not go ahead and cancel then take an order out in your wife's name with a few newbie discounts.

I get Netflix free via my sons subscription. I think he can use it on 4 devices so we and his in-laws get it free. Sure I've read recently this style of package may be discontinued if so I would happily pay for it.

Back