Streaming TV and film.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently signed up to the Netflix HD package at £9.99 i have read today they are putting it up to £11.99 next month i don't mind paying another £2 a month as so far i am loving it and have seen lots of stuff i plan to view in the future however being a tight old git i wondered what other members are using and what they think of the service they receive, content and pricing etc.
(only legal ones please)

How often do Netflix increase the monthly subscription?
If you have kids you can split the devices thus saving a bit of money. as in they don't need to be at home. So a rich relative has donated a 'device' to his sister as he doesn't watch netflix on anything other than his 60" 4K screen.

On about TV,films etc...
anyone got Sky Q?
I'm in desparate need of upgrading my viewing...whether it's getting rid of Sky or keeping it,getting Netflix or what...
I do like a film but it's usually on extended time off..don't do box sets as a habit..but if I do it's the same old..Bottom,Young Ones,Gavin and Stacey..I love documentaries.
Kids ask for Netflix... can they have it on their tellies without me paying extra?

Channel 4 catch up is free and has a pretty decent collection of box sets including some much older ones. I'm trying to decide if I can spare/invest the time in re-watching Hill St Blues from the beginning. 'Hey, Hey Hey. Let's be careful out there.'

I’ve only got freeview and I only watch a handful of those channels. So I don’t see the point in stumping up for a load more channels, the majority of which i won’t watch either. Grumpy, old fashioned cynic? Probably.

i've been using netflix since it was a DVD postal service.
i still subscribe but there's very little i actually want to watch now. even using a VPN to access the US-only content i browse, browse then turn it off.
maybe 4 times a year there's a series that i really get my teeth in to (punisher, haunting of hill house, sabrina for example).
guess my tastes are rather narrow compared to most. i don't do documentaries or comedies.
have prime video also which i maybe use twice a month.
https://uk.newonnetflix.info/is a useful site of you use netflix.
don't watch 'regular' TV at all. mostly youtube.

Channel 4 catch up is free and has a pretty decent collection of box sets including some much older ones. I'm trying to decide if I can spare/invest the time in re-watching Hill St Blues from the beginning. 'Hey, Hey Hey. Let's be careful out there.'
Yes, I also recommended it. Just need to tune out the adverts.
had forgotten just how good ER was.

60" 4k....hmmm!
You can’t beat a big telly. I have ordered a 65” in the sale for the garage conversion. Although the builder isn’t working during lockdown so at this rate we are going to end up with TV, sound bar, sofa and artwork but no garage conversion.

We are crapping ourselves that Next are going to phone and tell us the sofa is ready for delivery because there’s nowhere for it to go until the work is done.

I’ve only got freeview and I only watch a handful of those channels. So I don’t see the point in stumping up for a load more channels, the majority of which i won’t watch either. Grumpy, old fashioned cynic? Probably.

These were my thoughts on Netflix and the other providers, for years people at work used to discuss what they were watching and i not being the sort who watches a great amount of TV didn't get it, SWMBO works shifts so we don't spend much time in the house together and i record the same stuff over and over to watch when she gets home, i decided to give Netflix a try as i saw a couple of things i liked the look of and the big plus is you are not tied into a contract and can cancel anytime, i am now hooked, we still watch the same stuff we used to when we view together but we love having a huge choice of new things to watch and the many different means to watch it.

These were my thoughts on Netflix and the other providers, for years people at work used to discuss what they were watching and i not being the sort who watches a great amount of TV didn't get it, SWMBO works shifts so we don't spend much time in the house together and i record the same stuff over and over to watch when she gets home, i decided to give Netflix a try as i saw a couple of things i liked the look of and the big plus is you are not tied into a contract and can cancel anytime, i am now hooked, we still watch the same stuff we used to when we view together but we love having a huge choice of new things to watch and the many different means to watch it.
We were kind of the opposite. We used to have the full Sky package. We realised that just about everything we were watching was from Netflix so when we moved to our current house we took the very lowest BT package and I wouldn’t go back to Sky now.

I might get the sports channels when and if Sunderland ever get promoted back to the Premiership - before lockdown I’d just been going to my parents’ to watch the televised games but last night I took a Now TV day pass to watch the game.

@MickDundee i used to have the full Sky package years ago but i gave up as i was paying lots out and not getting value for money (you can only watch so much TV per month) Talk Talk broadband started to offer Sky sports for £8:99 per month with no lengthy contract so i signed up and to my disappointment i discovered they don't show all PL games just a selection, i had assumed they showed some live and the rest at other times during the week i cancelled at the end of the first month.

I still have the YouView recorder box which we use for recording Freeview and it works well.

Separately we note that TalkTalk have today made their standard broadband (11Mbps ADSL) and phone package the same price as their “faster fibre” (38Mbps FTTC) one at £22.95 per month for the first 18 months of service. Likewise their post-contract pricing is also fairly similar (£30 vs £29.95). The days of ADSL seem to be numbered.

A TalkTalk Spokesperson said:

“TalkTalk TV is an award-winning marketplace for the best entertainment at great value. All current customers can retain access to their Sky Sports and Sky Cinema channels.

New customers can watch Sky Sports and Sky Cinema via NOW TV which complements our existing offering. It combines free to air channels and flexible pay monthly content, with all the best On Demand players and streaming services including Netflix and Prime Video.”

@MickDundee i used to have the full Sky package years ago but i gave up as i was paying lots out and not getting value for money (you can only watch so much TV per month) Talk Talk broadband started to offer Sky sports for £8:99 per month with no lengthy contract so i signed up and to my disappointment i discovered they don't show all PL games just a selection, i had assumed they showed some live and the rest at other times during the week i cancelled at the end of the first month.

I still have the YouView recorder box which we use for recording Freeview and it works well.

Separately we note that TalkTalk have today made their standard broadband (11Mbps ADSL) and phone package the same price as their “faster fibre” (38Mbps FTTC) one at £22.95 per month for the first 18 months of service. Likewise their post-contract pricing is also fairly similar (£30 vs £29.95). The days of ADSL seem to be numbered.

A TalkTalk Spokesperson said:

“TalkTalk TV is an award-winning marketplace for the best entertainment at great value. All current customers can retain access to their Sky Sports and Sky Cinema channels.

New customers can watch Sky Sports and Sky Cinema via NOW TV which complements our existing offering. It combines free to air channels and flexible pay monthly content, with all the best On Demand players and streaming services including Netflix and Prime Video.”

Ooh, this is all getting too much for me. I think I’ll go back to sending pigeons!

Yellowstone is so brilliant I have paid Amazon £15 to view series one on TV via Chromecast. I cancelled Britbox after a few episodes of Spitting Image. So I will stick with Freesat for now.

I got netflix for about £6 a month in my recent renegotiation of my sky q contract.

I am paying £9.99 for the HD package which is going to be £11.99 from next month I will happily pay the extra.

In the current climate I couldn't be without Netflix. I originally got it for my son when I got divorced as we share custody evenly but I realised both of us can use it.

Recently I've watched Netflix made things like Stranger Things, Cobra Kai etc and don't begrudge them a penny. Also Peaky Blinders is on it - it's great for series as it remembers where you stopped watching.

I have netflix and prime (but again, only because of the shipping). Netflix's content is getting better and better but mostly in the series space - their selection of films is fast and often rubbish. Prime has fewer good series but some of the ones they have are absolutely excellently made - Patriot and The Expanse are both brilliant.

I've completely ditched Sky, and as I use Hyperoptic for my internet provider I don't even need to pay for a phoneline now which lowers the cost again.

We get power cuts and I'm very glad to have a landline as it carries on. The cell network doesn't.

NowTV for all Sky Sports channels. It’s supposed to be 33.99 a month but I’ve never paid more than 25 and usually 20. I share it with a relative so we pay usually 10-12.50 per month each. You can cancel at will, online, and they usually offer a deal to stay another month, or buy codes (officially) from Argos Ebay etc.

I have BT Broadband on a legacy package with BT Sport included free and a BT Youview box that does all the recording whether you subscribe or not. Unlike sky who remove the ability to record if you cancel.

For entertainment series - Netflix, NowTV, and Amazon Prime (like another poster, worth it just for the delivery upgrade).

I bought an iPhone and got 1 year of appletv+ It’s useless once you have watched the 3 series that are any good.

Can’t recommend NowTV highly enough.

I got a year of AppleTV+ with my iPad, but it really seems rubbish. I can't seem to find anything that's actually included in the package.

Back